Ease the Pain

In 500 words, imagine what happens when somebody learns what the numbers mean. Written for the Weekend Write-In Challenge: "Numbers" — 4-6 November 2016.

David and Grandpa talk about addiction.

By the Numbers

David looked up from the rug in front of the fireplace with a puzzled expression on his face. "Grandpa?"

"Yes, Sweetheart, what is it?"

"Grandpa, I'm reading here about giving this cowboy a shot of whisky and a piece of wood to bite on when they started removing the bullet. What were those for?"

"That would be to divert his mind from the pain. What are you reading?"

"A western novel set in the US West in the 1880s."

"Then it seems the scene is not in a hospital. Is it set out on the range?"

"No, in the bunkhouse."

"They wouldn't have had anaesthetics or analgesics available, so they'd..."

"Anna who?"

"Anaesthetics and analgesics. Things to lessen the pain. Anaesthetics are things used to deaden the body's sensation of pain."

"What sort of things?"

"In those days they used a cloth or cotton batten soaked in ether or chloroform and held to the person's nose. The inhaled fumes would numb them to the intensity of the pain. They also used a drink called Laudanum. A mix of water, alcohol and morphine."

"Morphine? What's that?"

"It's a drug made from opium poppies."

"Opium, like in the Chinese dens? Like Sherlock Holmes tried?"

"Yes, Sweetheart. Holmes used a number of drugs."

"To relieve pain?"

Grandpa put his book down and patted the couch beside him. "Come, David, let me tell you about addiction."

David closed his book and went across to the couch, laying his head on his grandfather's lap, and once he had settled, he said, "Ready."

His grandfather ran his fingers through David's blonde curls. "You remember how Doctor Watson always chastised Sherlock for his drug use?"

"Yes, he never seemed happy about it."

"And he was right not to be. Drugs like morphine, opium, cocaine and the new synthesised ones are both powerful and dangerous. They're of great use in medicine to deaden pain, to make surgery easier on the patient."

"Like digging out the cowboy's bullet."

"Yes, an injection of morphine there would numb the pain. The cowboy wouldn't have to burn his throat with harsh whisky or need to bite down on the wood to take his mind off it."

"So back to Sherlock. He was trying to numb some pain?"

"No, Sweetheart. He had become addicted to the drugs. He used them to relieve his boredom. That's the dangerous part of these drugs. The more you use them, the more your mind and body crave them. That's what addiction is. But used wisely for medical reasons, they're a very important part of modern medicine."

"So it's like the dentist. When he was shifting my teeth, he rubbed my gums with a number before he injected some freezing."

"That would be an analgesic he applied to your gums. A topical one, applied to the surface to numb the pain before he injected another into the tissue."

"Like that pain cream that Mum rubs on my scrapes? The pain disappears."

"Yes, Sweetheart, there are many modern numbers."