- seven -

I run to the school gate. I see a figure lying down near the gate. I see a mortifying figure with bad bruises and cuts all over. Zaina was bleeding a lot. I looked around, hoping someone would come around to help me carry Zaina. I sighed, knowing there's not enough time.

Before I kneeled to carry her, I saw a curvy figure further down the road. Once they saw me, they ran to the direction opposite of me and disappeared.

I put her arms around my shoulders but she was just too big for me to carry. Her legs were running against the pavement. I fast-walked to the nearest clinic. I knocked on the door using my forehead, as my hands were holding onto her hands.

The nurse helped me and they put on first-aid, before deciding to call an ambulance for further treatment. Zaina woke up and looked around, jolting up once she realised that she was in a clinic.

"I'm fine, honestly --" she coughed up blood. "I can fix all of this on my own." her eyes a bit glassy and tired. The nurses and the newly-arrived doctor took care of her. As I waited, I called Suzy. Maybe her friends are asleep already?

"Yes mom, what is it?" her friends are probably still there, and listening too.

"I'm coming home late tonight. Can you pick up some food in the lemon chicken place?" I said, imitating mom's voice.

"Yeah, sure." she ends the call.

I rub my eyes. It's really late into the night now. I walked to the lemon chicken diner and saw that curvy figure again. I try to get more details on them but they're just too far away. I soon see Suzy down the road and waving at me.

"What do you want? Thanks for saving me from my friends, by the way. They were just staying overtime in my room for some reason." Suzy explained.

"Zaina's in the clinic. She's got bruises and cuts all over and her arm is broken." I start welling up the tears. "I feel so nervous and scared." I feel my knees shake and tremble in fear. Suzy hugs me and strokes my hair.

"It's alright. You did your best to help her." she coos, wiping away my tears. "What's important is you showed that you tried your best to help her. This time, she's helping herself."

"But what if this happens again? When I'm not there to help her? When no one's there to help her?" I ask, my voice cracking.

"That's the consequence of having relationships when you're not ready to devote everything to them, especially at times like these."

"Having friends is hard." 

"You tell me."

We ate some dinner. Mom and dad weren't coming home lately since they had to go to abroad to get more money to support their three children. They brought the youngest with them. Suzy shared some stories from her friends and I could only listen. I could never share anything at times like these since I never experienced them.

Suzy walked me to the clinic, distracting me from being alone, waiting for Zaina. I finally see Zaina again. She's wrapped up in bandages and she's so swollen. I run to her but stop myself from hugging her because she looks like she's in so much pain.

"I'm Suzy, Mina's older sister." she waved her hand, putting her hand on my shoulder. "I don't think we've... ahem.. met." I see Zaina's eyes widen for a split second.

"Ahem... I'm Zaina."

Silence.

"I'm the doctor that just told you not to stand up and I see you are standing up?" the doctor said.

"How am I supposed to move around then?"

"Use a wheelchair, I'm sure one of these lovely girls will help you."

Suzy huffs and tuts. I smile at Zaina and point at myself. Zaina sighs and lets the doctor help her into the wheelchair. I pushed her back to our home, and with the help of Suzy, we got her to sleep in my room. Apparently, Suzy wanted me to sleep in her room this time.

Suzy sat me on her bed as she sighs.

"Mina, be careful around Zaina, okay?" she says.

"Why?"

"Zaina is constantly surrounded by bad people, those that will hurt others."

"Is she one of them?"

"I don't know, but I don't want you to get hurt knowing."

She hugs me tight before we set up her bed and sleep. I feel protected by my big sister's embrace. I dream of nothing that night.