Chapter Nine Armageddon: 2013 Reynold Jay

Chapter Nine

February 26—3:10 P.M.  329 miles off the Coast of Somalia, Indian Ocean

This is like a cruise ship. I will think of this as a vacation. Maybe I’ll stay here for an extra few days. I could use the rest.

Robinson sat lounging with Captain Edward Schmitzer on the flight deck of the George H.W. Bush, a CVN-78 nuclear powered aircraft carrier. Schmitzer was proud of his ship and crew and was not afraid to boast about it. His voice was deep and loud, probably because one needed to talk above the roar of the jet engines that were moving about on the deck He was an inch or two under six feet and powerfully built from stem to stern. He possessed a kind of dogged self assertion just short of a bulldog temperament. In fact Robinson was reminded of his childhood pet bulldog, Pete from the moment he saw him.   

The CVN-78 featured the new electromagnetic aircraft launching system and an advanced arresting gear that speeded the launchings. He was particularly proud of the dual-band radar or DBR’s as he called it that combined S-band and X-band radar in a single system. Robinson wasn’t quite sure what all this meant, however he was sure it made the USA a tiny bit safer than those who did not have the latest technology.

The USS Enterprise, the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier, and several other ships sailed within view upon the Indian Ocean. All this was part of the Fifth Fleet that was responsible for patrolling the Middle Eastern shores. More recently, they were attempting to discourage Somali pirates from hijacking the oil tankers that plodded along delivering oil from Iran and Saudi Arabia to all parts of the world.

“There are aircraft carriers from nearly every major country in the world sailing these waters. All in all there are around 150 ships and it is all we can do to keep from running into one another,” he laughed.              

His phone began signaling. “Excuse me a minute.”

He listened briefly.

“We have spotted suspicious activity southeast of our position. We must go to the war room.”

A few minutes later Robinson sat in with the officers as they formulated plans to prevent a possible hijacking. Aircraft were alerted to scout the area and the carrier headed in the direction of the suspected pirates.

Twenty minutes had passed with frenetic activity. Sirens wailed and sailors ran about the ship in a mad rush. Robinson had tagged along with several officers including the captain and scoured the horizon with binoculars.

“We have a report, Captain that the Jamaran is on a collision course approaching at twenty knots off the starboard bow.”

“Crap! Now we must deal with the Iranians.” He explained that an arrogant rear admiral was aboard the destroyer and would probably be throwing his weight around. It would not be the first time they had problems with the Jamaran. Presumably it was headed toward the suspected pirates and the Fifth Fleet may have gotten in their arrogant way.

He removed a set of worry beads from his pocket and began trekking them off one by one with his thumb. “Maintain our present position and call them and tell them they are breaking into the ranks of the Fifth Fleet. We respectfully request that they alter their course.”

Robinson could see the destroyer approaching at a good clip. The captain of the Enterprise called in.

Schmitzer talked with him briefly and flipped the encrypted phone back in his pocket. “The Enterprise is upset. They needed to alter their course in order to avoid a collision.” 

A pilot from one of the F/A-18C/D Hornets gave the report. “Captain we have a jet-powered craft cruising around out here with six passengers.”

“Describe the occupants.”