Chapter Twenty One - An Old Acquaintance and Ice Cream

It was finally Saturday and I couldn't be any happier. Julian was taking me and the kids out to dinner. I had a smile on my face as I started applying my makeup. I couldn't remember the last time I put on makeup, but It felt good getting all dolled up.

"Mommy, I don't know what to wear." Lily Rose said as she stood at my doorway.

I stood up and held her hand. "Let's see." I told her as I walked with her to her room. I found Adam sitting on his bed already dressed up in ivory colored twill pants and a long sleeve ivory colored t-shirt layered with a button front shirt.

"You look good, baby." I commented.

"Thanks, mom" he said. "Can I go to the living room to watch TV?"

I nodded. "Of course, baby." I opened Lily Rose's closet and started searching for something appropriate for her to wear. I spotted a black and white rose print dress that I had brought her not a very long time ago. "What about this?" I held the dress in my hand. Lily Rose bobbed her head. I lay the dress on her bed then looked at her shoes that were lined up in a row at the bottom of her closet. I grabbed black ballerina flats and placed it on the ground beside the bed. "Do you need help getting dressed?" I asked my daughter and she shook her head. "Okay, then get dressed, baby, and I'll do the same." I kissed her cheek and walked out of her room and back into my bedroom.

I opened my closet and grabbed a simple little black dress that had a little bit of lace. I stripped off my robe then put the dress on. I ran my fingers through my hair and looked at myself in the mirror. Even I had to admit that I looked good. I grabbed my purse from the closet and walked out of the room.

Passing through Lily Rose's room, I noticed that she was struggling with her dress. "Here, let me help you, baby." I placed my purse on the bed and helped her with the dress. She then slipped her ballerina flats on her feet and looked up at me with a grin.

"Thank you, mommy"

"You're welcome, baby." I kissed her cheek and grabbed my purse from the bed then both of us walked out to the living room.

I found Adam sitting on the sofa watching cartoons and Lily Rose quickly jumped on the sofa to join her brother.

Just then, the doorbell rang, I walked to the door and opened it. There stood Julian wearing black jeans with a white button up shirt layered with a grey sweater and a smile on his face. However his smile quickly faded and his eyes widened as he looked at me.

"Is something wrong? Do I look okay?' I voiced my concerns as I suddenly felt self conscious.

Julian shook his head and his lips tugged upwards in a smile. "No, you look beautiful, love."A shy smile appeared on my face and colour rose to my cheeks as I stepped aside to let him in. He placed a kiss on my cheek then walked in to the living room.

"Where are you taking us?" I heard Adam asking Julian.

"Where do you want to go?" He asked him and Adam just shrugged. "What about you, princess?" He asked Lily Rose and she mocked her brother's action. Julian then turned to me. "Do you have somewhere specific in mind?"

"It doesn't matter as long as the kids are happy." Julian nodded and held Lily Rose in his arms as she giggled while I held Adam's hand and we walked out the door.

#

"Are you ready to order?" The waitress asked us with a smile on her face.
Julian had taken us to a small place that he had gone to once with Charlie, and according to him, they served the best food he had ever tasted.

"Definitely not better than mine" I argued.

"Guess we'll have to see." He quipped with a playful grin.