five

"A Darach?"

"Yes. A dark druid."

"And an alpha pack at the same time?"

"Yes," I repeated.

Allison and I were laying on top of her duvet together. I was supporting myself on my elbows at the foot of the bed while my sister rested against the headboard, facing me. As she squinted up at the ceiling and twirled the ends of her hair, I tried my best to recap everything Deaton had told Lydia, Stiles, and I in the music room.

"And are they connected somehow? The Darach and the alphas."

"Are you asking that because they showed up in Beacon Hills at the same time?"

Allison tilted her head to the side. "That, and the fact that nothing seems to be a coincidence around here."

"You have a point, but we don't know everything yet."

"Isn't that always the case?"

Before I could respond, our conversation was interrupted by someone knocking against the front door. Since the apartment bedrooms were situated in the hallway by the entrance and Allison's door was ajar, the noise carried into the room and caused my sister to jolt upright.

Even though we didn't know our fellow tenants very well, in fact we hadn't met anyone other than the old couple a few floors down, we didn't live in a dangerous building. However, our conversation about blood thirsty alphas and dark Celtic druids had put us both on edge. Paranoid, Allison rolled over to extend a hand towards her bedside table. But as her hand latched around the knob attached to the top drawer, which I'm sure held a concealed pair of ring daggers matching the ones in her glove compartment, I put out a hand to calm her.

"It's okay, I'll go check who it is," I whispered. 

Pushing myself onto my feet, I tread quietly over to the door. The only person we had been expecting was our Dad, but he was still out at the store to buy things that could fill our empty new refrigerator and he never forgot his keys.

I leaned forward onto the tips of my toes to peer through the dime-sized peep hole at the centre of the doorway. Standing on the other side was Scott, slightly distorted by the fish eye lens.

I bit my lip, turning back over my shoulder and looking down the hall to my sister's room. We hadn't had much of a chance to discuss where she stood with her ex-boyfriend recently, so I had no idea if she was ready to talk to him yet. My hand hovered over the doorknob. 

"Eleanor?" Scott's voice called through the door, making me jump back. "Eleanor, I know you're looking through the peep hole. Just let me in."

I remained frozen.

"I can hear your heartbeat, remember?"

I grumbled, swung the door open, and didn't have time to warn Allison before she trailed up behind me.

"Who is -"

She stopped in her tracks when her eyes fell on the teen wolf, whose face had broken out into a grin at the sight of her.

"Allison!" Scott greeted awkwardly. "Hi."

"Hi."

There was a pause. Arching an eyebrow, I darted my focus between the two teenagers.

"Can I come in?" Scott asked.

Allison nodded, so he stepped forward into the now crowded hallway. Without any further invitation, he was still in front of the door, cornered by my sister and me.