six

"Am I getting too close? I'm getting way too close, aren't I?"

"That depends," Lydia hummed, running a hand through her hair. "Are you just following the bus or are you planning on mounting it at some point?"

Although our strawberry blonde friend had a flair for the overdramatic, she had a point. My sister's tight grip on the steering wheel had sent our car forward enough so that there was barely a vehicle-long distance between us and the large yellow bus headed to the cross country meet.

We had left early in the morning, scheduling our departure for just after the team's, with every intent to make sure the boys were alright after what had transpired at the abandoned mall. Lydia entered into the equation when we realized the alpha wolf with whom she had been sneaking around had also been at the battle with his brother. 

Allison and I had both agreed that despite knowing Aiden was an alpha, she hadn't seen how much damage they could do. As self-assured as Lydia was, we didn't want the other twins somehow getting to her.

Fortunately, she didn't put up much of a fight when we invited her along. Our friend actually insisted on spending time with us if the meet meant we were going to be unavailable this weekend.

"You're right, you're right. I should back off." Allison let out a shaky breath and eased on the brakes.

"Well, that also depends. Do you mean from the bus or the ex-boyfriend you're currently stalking?" Lydia shrugged.

"After what happened, I'm not letting him out of my sight."

"Hm."

I shared a glance with Lydia who was seated behind us, her elbows perched on the armrest in between the driver and the passenger. The strawberry blonde quirked an eyebrow at me and reclined back in her seat. Allison noticed this in the rear-view mirror. "Hey! All of this started when he came knocking on our door, you know."

Lydia leaned forward again. "For what?"

"To warn us," I answered, glancing over at my sister. "He just didn't want us getting involved in something dangerous."

"But you went to the mall anyway?" our friend chuckled.

"Scott needed help."

"So it was your idea? I would've figured Allison was the one to drag you out to the fight."

Allison grinned. "Ellie had a moment of standing up to our dad that got her on my side."

"Ah, teenage rebellion," Lydia sighed. "Most girls wear extra eyeliner and sneak out of their window to go meet a boy. Or, there's you two, who rebel by sneaking out of the house with lethal weapons."

I laughed. "Technically we were going out  to meet a boy."

"Not meet. Stalk and shoot at."

"Shoot at his enemies, Lydia," Allison corrected.

The strawberry blonde merely shrugged. "Whatever you say."

Their banter died down momentarily, traffic rolling to a complete stop despite the lack of red lights on the highway. My navigation app had notified us earlier of a large accident a few miles ahead from which we, along with the endless line of cars also parked on the highway, were now suffering the consequences. Only the furthest right lane was moving, letting a few travelers escape the asphalt for a rest-stop.

"Just wondering, is the 'We're not going to let them out of our sight' thing literal or, like, a general rule?" Lydia mumbled from her bench seat.

"Why?"