Chapter 6: Fear of the Dark

When the light begins to change

I sometimes feel a little strange

A little anxious when it's dark.

Lexie walked out into the kitchen. Her and Mark had moved into the house a couple of weeks ago and had just finished unpacking. Their next step would be to get everything and decorate the nursery for the twins. Lexie was about twenty-two weeks pregnant now and could feel both babies kicking all the time and she loved it but it also got kind of annoying when she was trying to sleep, which she felt like she always needed. This pregnancy was tiring for her and it was getting harder as the babies grew and she grew along with them.

"Good morning." Mark said with a smile as he gave her a kiss. "I made breakfast."

"Good morning." Lexie smiled as she went and sat down at the table and Mark gave her a plate before he sat a plate down for himself. "Thank you for breakfast." Lexie smiled taking a bite.

"You're welcome." Mark said. "You're off today, right?"

"Yes I am. What do you want to do today?" Lexie asked knowing he had the day off as well.

"I don't know." Mark said taking a bite of his food. As they both finished he went and washed the dishes before coming back to the table. "Have any ideas?"

"I don't really care. I was going to try and get some sleep but with how much these two are kicking that's going to be a challenge. They kept me up most of the night last night." She laughed before feeling a sharp pain in her abdomen and putting her hand on her stomach feeling a strong kick under it.

Mark noticed something was off, "Lex, are you okay?" He asked with a concerned tone.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll be fine." Lexie waved him off before she felt the pain strengthen. She shook her head and continued, "No, something's wrong. God, this hurts. Can you call Addison?"

"Yeah," Mark said picking up his phone and quickly calling Addison. He explained the situation without ever taking his eyes off of his wife. "Addison is already at the hospital. She said to come and met her there and soon." Can you make it to the car?"

Lexie nodded and stood up she grabbed on to Mark's arm as he helped her out to the car. They made it to the hospital quickly and get into an exam room.

"Hello," Addison said walking into the room. She did a brief examination before continuing. "You are having contractions. We're going to stop them but its going to be a while. You aren't dilating which is good but we need to stop these contractions before you do. We're going to keep you here overnight and we are going to get these contractions stopped. You and the babies will be fine." Addison tried to comfort. She moved Lexie to a private room and started her on medication to stop her contractions. She couldn't have anything for the pain because it was too early and could cause preterm labor which is exactly what they were trying to stop.

“The babies are going to be fine, Lex.” Mark said to her.

“Yeah, I know.” Lexie nodded. “Can you go down and get me some water please?” Lexie asked looking to him.

Mark nodded. “I’ll be back soon.” Mark said giving her a kiss before leaving the room and going downstairs to the cafeteria. He grabbed a bottle of water for Lexie and sat down for a minute just to think before Callie came over and sat across from him.

“Mark? I thought you were off today. Shouldn’t you be at home?” She asked him.

“I was planning on it.” Mark said. “But Lexie started having contractions.”