two

two

I quietly filled in the answers to the overly colourful sheet that had been handed to us at the beginning of the class as our teacher droned on and on. I missed one question for good measure and then shoved it deep into my binder and closed my eyes.

Before I was able to complete my minute of peace, there was a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see that red head that I had “met” on the bus this morning. the corners of her mouth lifted slightly and she handed me a book.

“It's my favorite.” She whispered before turning around.

I fingered the dark green cover and opened the book to the title page. “Lost” by Stephen Ross. Intrigued, I flipped the page and begun to read.

sometimes i find myself lost beneath my papers and pens, drowning in the stress of my due dates.

I waited anxiously the next morning on the bus, my eyes watching the street signs as they passed. When we reached her street, I scooted as close to the window as I could and kept my eyes on the door. As soon as the doors folded open, her sandal clad feet stepped onto the isle and I caught her gaze. Her blue eyes lit up and she made her way down to the seat, where she plopped down next to him.

“Did you like it?” I nodded and handed back her book.

“I brought you this.” I said and rubbed my eyes.

She smiled, understanding how much I had really enjoyed it, and took the book from my hands. “Thank you.” She whispered, then leaned her against the seat.

With her eyes closed, I felt free to take in her beauty. Her curly hair hung in crazy ringlets down to her belly button, and they floated up and down with the movements of her stomach.

“Jane” She mumbled through her smile.

“Caden.”

She smiled brightly, her eyes still closed.

I smiled back.