Chapter 2 - The lonesome princess

ANNA

I swirled at the rich splendor ringing in my ears. The sky cries of passion and the swift beating of the steps I began to take came faster and cleaner. I was free. I was finally free from this prison. The madrigals came louder as I ran to the shoreline. The silhouette of the waves glinted upon my curious eyes.

"Anna? Anna, Darling?"

Hairs from my neck stood as the voice filled my ears with disbelief. I hesitantly turned around and saw my dearest mother smiling. Her glow was always so beautiful and it gave me courage. I ran to her and embraced her tightly, tears swelling from my eyes. "Mama... I.. I missed you mama." I sniffled as I felt her hands caress my cheek. "Where's papa? Why did you guys have to go? I... I'm so lost, mama. We're so so lost without you. I... I felt so alone..." My quivering voice turned into a sob.

She said nothing but I felt her soft lips land upon my head. A smile grew on my face as I understood her comfort. I guess I can't change anything. My chest felt hollow, but I was covered with her warmth. The warmth I had been longing for years.

We strolled along the shore and had so many various conversations. She told me of myths of the sea; nymphs, mermaids, mermen, giant squids, sirens, and much more. I told her of my life in the kingdom; how I taught myself to understand the portraits in the display room, where I usually hung out. I told her of how I talked to them, like they were really there. She giggles at this, probably thinking that her daughter's gone mad. Well, if I had a daughter and she talks to paintings, I'd probably think she's crazy too.

I picked up shells from the sand and showed it to her. When I was younger, this was my favorite past time with my mother. We'd usually bring them home and keep them as a collection. I would often end up losing them on the way to the courtyard, but mother had the most beautiful collection from both of us. Hers was filled with pearls and huge seashells! Sometimes she'd even share them with me.

I smiled at the memory and I placed the shells in her hands. We made a little sand castle and used the shells to decorate them. Few moments later, She pulled my hand and guided me towards a ship. I saw a tall, brave figure standing at the opening. His gentle eyes were in contrast from his bold structure. His heart that was softer than his words. He was a man of his promises, A natural born leader, a wise ruler to his people, and a father who makes me feel whole. I stared at him for a while, trying to control my emotions from taking over. "Papa..." I muttered desperately. He wrapped me in his arms alongside my mother's.

"My child, look at how you've become." His voice had authority in it, but it was so familiar that it gave me comfort. It was nice to hear them speak again. I never wanted to forget how they sounded like. He smiled and pulled a strand of my hair away from my face.

"You truly have your father's appearance. Don't you think so, dear?" Mama added. Subsequently, A thought had thrust itself into my brain and a feeling of uneasiness overflowed on my spine.

"You're both leaving again... aren't you?" These words, I ended up blurting out with an inverted curved line on my face.

They exchanged looks and my ribs felt like it was slowly crushing my lungs. This is unfair. I need them so much. I don't know what to do without them. "Could you at least stay for a while?" I begged.

"Anna..." My father sighed as he pulled away. "We can't... I'm sorry."

"Oh..." My voice faltered as I bit my lip. "Can I at least come with you guys? I really... Really need you. I'll be more happier with you guys, than to be trapped in that kingdom. It's like... I'm a bird trapped in a cage. Unable to spread my wings and voyage across to find my destiny."

Silence was the barrier forming between us. I placed on my sweetest grin. "I promise I'll do the dishes..." I added.

"Your sister needs you more than you need us, Anna." My mother replied with such sorrow in her eyes. She glanced at the castle and walked up alongside my father. Elsa? The same Elsa whom I searched for years? The same Elsa whose door I endlessly knocked on? The same Elsa who ignored my existence...Needs me? She barely even talked to me for years! She barely even showed herself in the times I needed her. Her presence wasn't even available in 50% of my life! How could she 'need' ME?

Before I could protest, my body was unable to move as the sight of my parents began to enter the ship. The same sight as the one before their trip began. The very last trip and image of them, I had ever witnessed. I wanted to reach out and run for them, but my feet were somehow "glued" to the floorboards. I watched helplessly, in eye-to-eye contact with them. And as if fate were to play its tricks on me, My feet began to twitch and I am in motion again. I slumped down and lie on the wooden steps, slowly hearing the tragic songs of the seagulls and the clouds clasping together.

--

I sat up, wide awake and my eyes red from crying.

It was just a dream. Just... A dream. I mumbled to myself and buried my face on the pillow. It's late in the evening, and tomorrow's the coronation day. I stared at the portrait hung beside my bed, it was my mother and father's.

I controlled my breathing, and calmed myself down but the tears just wouldn't stop dripping. It's been years since I ever dreamed of them. Why now? Why me? Did Elsa have one too?

Elsa...

I glanced at my hands, which was wet from wiping away the dreaded droplets that embossed my sorrow. What did mama and papa mean about... Elsa needing me? And... Why? Why would she need me? She's been fine without me. Why would they say that?

I sniffled and pushed away these thoughts, letting out a sigh. I hushed myself to sleep, listening to the emptiness of my room. Slowly hoping that it was dawn.

-End of Chapter2-