Part I: Cursed

Time pasted by

Time pasted by. 

The witch village was a quiet place, other than a few threats from some covens things were peaceful. In the beginning I did not think I would last much time in a village filled with my mortal enemies yet I was incorrect, I had underestimated Kalysta's stubbornness.

Every time a witch sent even a small glare my way there she was, the youngest of the three sisters, glaring down at the culprit. I had saved her life and I was completely redeemed in the girl's eyes. She considered me something between a pet project and her best friend, meanwhile I just thought she was insane. 

Karin was a complete different matter. Of the three sisters she was the most distrustful, not that I blamed her. In fact, I considered her the most sane of the three. Who would, after all, trust a woman that spent her life hunting down, torturing and killing, her kind? 

Kahlan was a different matter all together. For a witch Regent she was very forgiving, but I obviously felt the looks she sent me every other day. She was smart, she trusted me to kill her enemies and to protect her family to a certain level, but she kept a watchful eyes just in case I felt like going on a witch-murder-spree like in the good old days. 

All in all life was semi peaceful, with enough enemies to kill to keep me entertained and not that bored. When I finally looked around me and noticed the time that had passed, the sisters had had children that were now in their teens and called me aunt.

I remained unchanged. 

--

The sisters were old, their children were grown and having children of their own, and I remained the same. Frozen in time, beautiful and young as always. I sometimes wondered if this was a curse and considered myself lucky that I had never wished to retain a relationship or have children. If Kalysta had had her way I would now be a grandmother. 

I found their ways quite amusing. The witches had to maintain their legacy, pass on the blood and magic to the next generation, yet this lot refused the conventional ways. The sisters went and got pregnant God knows where, but they never married or told the father's that they had children.

"What are you going to do?" Kahlan inquired, as the sisters and I took a sit in the family house. 

"I don't know." I replied, rolling my eyes. I'm immortal I have all the time in the world, apparently. 

"This is not a do nothing and think about it later situation Cara." Karin said, looking as serious as she always did. 

"I have to agree with them Cara." The younger witch said, giving her a sad frown. 

"This is not the end of the world, I'm apparently just immortal is all." I replied, a hand going through my hair in frustration. 

"Immortality alone will be more of a curse than a gift." The Regent said, in her sage tone. I wanted to roll my eyes, tell me something I don't know.