The First Chapter

Do you get more reads on the opening chapter than the rest of your romance?

Sadly for most of us the answer is YES, YES and double YES!

It can be disillusioning when half or more, of the potential readers that began our story, decide not to progress further! Some will bluntly tell you why in the comments but the majority just quietly leave.

Among those fleeing, a small percentage might have departed due to an emergency elsewhere but the majority probably didn't.

And those readers rarely return!

In all fairness, we probably also look at numerous stories ourselves. Some we will continue reading but others are abandoned after the first chapter.

So it appears a first chapter is like a first date. You either make a good impression. Or not!

In the crowded romance pool, it's therefore critical to have a first chapter that entices readers to read on. If it's an ongoing story, they just have to pop it into their library, on a reading list or follow you to hear first when it is updated.

So for this discussion, tell us-

What is it about the  first chapter of a romance keeps you reading?

What gives a bad impression at the beginning of a romance story that is enough to make you put it down?

There will be individual preferences and once again, there are no right or wrong answers.

For me, interesting characters, a great sense of place or atmosphere and an engaging writing style make me read on. I'm neutral about spelling and grammar but hate three or four chapters of introductions and prologues before the story gets going!

Put your thoughts on first chapters in the comments and we'll summarise them in a while with shout outs for three contributors.

Mary -Ambassador.