Writing and Evoking Emotion into your Story

The major thing about writing is connecting with your readers, making them feel what your character is feeling

The major thing about writing is connecting with your readers, making them feel what your character is feeling. It's not only about letting them step into your worlds but letting them experience your worlds. When there is no connection between the readers and your characters, there is no connection to your book.

So, how can you evoke emotions from your readers?

The most powerful writing comes from a writer who feels something. We've all had moments of sadness, joy and anger. It's captured in our minds, and sometimes, we get taken to those moments and we are taken back to those feelings.

Connecting to those moments allow you to be in your creative power. It allows the words to come out with ease because the energy of the emotion is propelling the work forward.

If you want readers to experience joy and elation, pull up a memory that makes you feel these emotions. Feel them in your body. Feel them running through you. Write from this state. If you want to create a feeling of sadness or elicit tears from your readers, think back to those sad moments. Let this experience pour onto the page.

Sometimes, you have to step into the shoes of your character; imagine yourself in those situations, then write down how you will feel.

The second thing is, being specific with sensory details and descriptions can ratchet up the emotional tension quickly.

For example, you might start with,

"Stephanie was terrified as she picked up the phone."

Using the above sentence, you could end up with something like...

"Her heartbeat accelerated. Every nerve in her body was frozen, icy chills running through her veins as she picked up the phone. Her fingers shook as they brushed over the keypad, a lump stuck in her throat."

The goal is to write emotion without explicitly stating it. With the right words, imagery, thoughts and actions, your readers should be able to feel the emotion through context. Don't report that a character is afraid or giddy or grieving. Show the results of character emotions through the character's actions.

Key Points: Character action and response.

Thirdly, your readers have to know and identify your characters before they can feel their emotions. Make sure the readers know and understand them, see the characters live through their lives, live through it with them before trying to connect emotionally with them. 

forevertoofar