Chapter 1

Dedicated to Hedena1 because she was the first one to read this, even if it was in French class. 🙃. 

***********************************************

I walked down the hall, my white gown bellowing behind me. The harsh wind blew across the corridor, whipping my hair across my face but the wind didn't faze me. Not a lot did, these days.

Eyes on my target, I walked ahead.

Un

Deux

Trois

Quatre

Step by step, we walked. Me behind her and her never noticing. Numbers in my head as I walked. Numbers that gave me the comfort that people never did. People never gave me comfort, they always favored her. But now, I'd make her go away so that they'd pay attention to me. So that I would finally be our family's star daughter, not her. I'd do it all, just you wait and see.  A smirk curved up my face.

Cinq

Six

Sept

Huit 

A turn left, walk straight, turn right. Finally we wound up in front of the lake. She paused. I walked up to her, twirling the cool blade in my hand. I placed my hand on her tan shoulder and she whipped around, emerald eyes widening. 

She took in my sicknigly sweet smile, my hand poised in front of her, my fingers wrapped around the hilt of the blade. 

It all happened in slow motion then. 

Her mouth opened, a look of pure terror on her face as she tried to scream, but nothing came out. I took the knife and drove it straight into her chest. She fell, but I didn't stop then. I kept on stabbing her over and over and over again. 

It felt so good. I wanted this feeling of power to last forever. But it was fading away. Why was it fading away?! 

I felt that familiar helplessness hit me again, and it was horrible. So horrible. I hated that feeling! 

I began tossing and turning, my hands gripping soft....sheets? Where was I ? What was I doing? I needed to get up! I needed to..

 I woke up with a gasp. 

I sat there for a minute just shivering, my eyes wide. Where had that awful nightmare come from? I loved my sister. A deep pit of guilt began building in my stomach. I knew I was mad at what all had happened today,  it it wasn't her fault that grandpa left her the fortune. Was it? Was it? My mind flashed back to what happened that fateful day. 

*Flashback*

It was a warm and sunny day, which seemed wrong in so many ways. 

"It shouldn't be so happy, the birds shouldn't be singing" I thought bitterly, tugging on the hem of my black dress. The funeral had been done for exactly 46 minutes and 12 seconds now, but I still couldn't seem to get the image of grandpa's casket being lowered to the ground. I shuddered, trying to shake the memory off me. 

"Honey?" Mom poked her strawberry blonde head into the doorway. "Are you okay?" 

I shook my head, sighing. 

She pursed her painted lips and put her hands to her temple. She took in a deep breath before saying, " Honey, this isn't easy for any of us, but why can't you please try to put on a strong face, like your sister? We need to be strong." 

My head snapped up. How could she? How could she be comparing me to my sister at even this moment? She never missed a chance to put me down, did she. 

I muttered, "Okay," willing to let this one slide. Oh, who was I kidding, I always let her little jabs at me slide. They might not seem much in a single sentence, but over time if you added them all up, I might as well have been living with an abusive parent. The subtle ways she'd tell me my frizzy red waves weren't as pretty as my sister's smooth black hair. When I got an A, she'd congratulate me, but casually sigh that my sister had gotten an A+ making me crumble and fall again. It went on and on, and no one ever even seemed to notice but me. I would've seemed insane if I ever tried to tell anyone. So I kept it to myself. 

I winced and tried to pull myself back to reality. Shaking the thoughts off me I, glanced up at my mother. 

She beamed and clapped her hands together. 

" Well, come along now! They're going to read your grandfather's will."  she said, turning around and motioning for me to follow her. 

I walked into the room, and where my dad, sister, and grandma were sitting. 

"Hey angel, you good?" My dad said, smiling in a watery way at me. I could see him trying to be strong for our sake. 

I gulped and nodded. He patted the spot between him and my sister and I numbly climbed in there. 

My sister wrapped her arms around me, kissing the top of my forehead. My dad absently stroked my hair and I snuggled into their sides. I was reminded of why I never told anyone what my mom did, I loved my sister and dad too much. They needed my mom, they needed her to be perfect. Who would I be to ruin their image of her?  

I turned to my grandma, and she smiled at me, little did I know then that it was a smile of sympathy. Sympathy because of the news she was going to give me. 

She took in a deep breath and said, "As you know your grandfather had a fortune which he left to one of you." 

I smiled internally, knowing that I was that one. Grandpa had made it no secret that I was his favorite. In fact, he had even told me that there was no way in hell that his fortune was going to anyone but me. 

"You're the only one I trust," he'd said in his strong accent, smiling down at me from his pipe. 

I swallowed. God, I missed grandpa so much. 

Grandma paused before continuing, " I do not and cannot pretend to understand what went through his head when he wrote this will. But I do know that we all must accept his decision no matter what." 

I frowned at her cryptic words and shook my leg impatiently. Why wouldn't grandma read the freaking will already? I could taste the anticipation. So much money. And it would be all mine in just a couple of seconds. 

Grandma turned to my sister and said warmly, her eyes sparkling, "Congratulations Aurelie, grandpa has decided that his fortune goes to you." 

Everything happened at once then. My sister gasped  in surprise and slipped down the couch, landing on the floor. My father turned pale and gripped me tighter. Even my mother gaped at grandma like she'd suddenly grown a second head And me? I was sitting there frozen, just sitting there numb and unfeeling as my dad gripped me. 

And that night was when the nightmares and voices started. 

************************************************************

Eeeek, my very first chapter! *sniffles, dabs at her eyes*. What do you guys think? I hope you liked it, and yes I am a very messed up person as my friends have told me when they read this chapter. 🙃🙃🙃. It's k though, I'm sane, I promise! :)

Vote! Comment! Share! 

Xx Saanvi the penguin 🐧🐧🐧🐧