More than one Soldier

Chapter 8

A/N: I am so sorry for not updating but I have had all my exam mocks and have been trying to prepare for my actual GCSE's. I will try to update but if I don't it is because of homework and revision and I apologise in advance. Also, I have changed chapter 2 slightly. It doesn't impact the story if you don't want to go back but there is a minor change.

"Abi! Steve!" Sam's voice echoed through the empty rooms.

They both got up and ran into the room where Bucky was sat. Bucky groaned in pain as he came to. He looked confused as he tried to move his arm. Panic crossed his features as he saw it was trapped in a metal vice. Abi went to walk forward but Steve caught her arm.

"I know what I'm doing." She told him. She walked forward and kneeled in front of Bucky whose features softened at the sight of her.

Bucky pulled himself up properly with another groan. "Abi?" His voice was hoarse and she could hear the confusion.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" She asked slowly.

Bucky's face flashed in realisation as he recalled what must have happened for her to propose that question. He met her eyes as he spoke carefully. "Your mom's name was Sarah. I used to take you dancing on a Sunday because you knew there would be no one we knew around. Steve used to wear newspapers in his shoes." He chuckled at the last bit and Abi smiled.

"Can't read that in a museum." Steve said with a similar smile.

Abi stood up and began to free him from the vice but Sam spoke up. "Just like that we're supposed to be cool?"

Bucky looked up at Abi who was releasing the vice. "What did I do?" He muttered, fearing the answer.

"Enough." Steve replied.

Abi left the vice and knelt in front of him again; taking his face in her hands. "It wasn't your fault." She told him.

"Oh, God, I knew this would happen." Bucky hung his head. "Everything Hydra put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words." Abi finally opened the vice and freed his arm.

"Who was he?" Steve questioned.

"I don't know." Bucky said.

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup... The doctor did all that to get ten minutes with you. I need you to do better than 'I don't know'." Steve said.

"He wanted to know about Siberia." As soon as the words passed Bucky's lips Abi froze and dropped the vice crank she was holding. It clattered to the floor with a load bang.

"What?" Abi more or less whispered.

Bucky met her fearful gaze. "Where we were kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?" Steve asked looking from his sister to his friend.

Abi merely nodded at Bucky. "Because I'm not the only winter soldier."

__________________________________________________________________________________

1991

A car drove down a remote forest lane. A motorbike pulled up alongside it and a metal fist collided with the door forcing the car to crash into the side of the road. Bucky spun his bike round and stood it at the back of the car. He pulled open the boot and looked at the metal box. He pulled open the lid to reveal five pockets of a bright blue solution on ice. Bucky picked up the box and took it back for his handlers.

He and Abi watched as the pockets were connected to Hydra's elite death squad. They all screamed in pain as the serum entered the blood stream. Each one was taken into a cell and strapped to a bed. Eventually the screams stopped and the soldiers were trained to handle their new strength. They fought both Abi and Bucky but Abi was the only one who could beat them.

Abi watched as one of them threw Bucky across the room. The handler praised the soldiers but the situation got out of hand. The soldiers attacked the guards and scientists as Bucky escorted the handler out of the room; Abi shutting the door behind them.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Who were they?" Steve asked.

Abi replied from where she was leant against the vice next to Bucky. "Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone, other than us, in Hydra history. And that was before the serum."

"They all turn out like him?" Sam asked with a nod at Bucky.

"Worse." Bucky replied.

"The doctor, could he control them?" Steve queried.

"Enough." Abi said putting a hand on Bucky's shoulder.

"He said he wanted to see an empire fall." Steve recalled.

"With these guys, he could do it." Bucky sadly told them. "They speak thirty languages, can hide in plain sight... infiltrate, assassinate, destabilise. They could take a whole country down in one night and you'd never see them coming."

Sam and Steve walked off and started talking.

"You okay?" Bucky said looking at Abi.

She nodded. "Hydra's going to be haunting us for the rest of our lives." She dropped her head as Bucky stood.

He lifted up her chin and made her look at him. "It was inevitable. Something was bound to go wrong."

"Maybe. But it has impeccable timing." She said sarcastically. Bucky laughed as Steve and Sam walked back over.

"You two ready to move out?" Steve asked.

"Always."