Two Roads

    E͟͟m͟͟m͟͟a͟͟  P͟͟O͟͟V͟͟:

    I wake up to the exasperate constant beeping of my alarm clock. Annoyed, I turn it off after several different button attempts. Today would be my first day of the 10th grade, at Whitney high school. It really doesn't help that my schedule clearly states that I have my own mother as my English teacher. I briskly get dressed, choosing a short baby blue skirt, with a (slightly cropped) bubblegum shade of pink shirt. I slide on my black converse as I sit in front of my vanity table. As I complete my makeup routine and fix up my chocolate colored locks (with ombréd ends) I depart my room, treading down the hard wooden stair steps. As I turn the corner  to enter the kitchen, I run into Dylan, my older brother. He laughs at my startled face, as he grabs my shoudlers and pulls me aside, creating room for him to walk by. I have friends who's brothers that constantly make fun of and torture their sisters. Don't get me wrong, Dylan teases me, but not to a point where I lock myself in my bedroom crying. Dylan is actually really protective and will actually listen to me spouting out my problems like an overflowing river. He's in the 12th grade, which means he goes to my school, and he's already searching for colleges. I make myself a bowl of cereal, while I start to pour the milk from the carton, my phone buzzes. I read the text message from my best friend, Lindsey. "Hey gurl! I heard there's like a new transfer student! I gtg, ttyl! <3" 

Later as I get out of my mom's car, I see Lindsey standing near the front doors right away. I stride  over to her, and wave as she notices me. We embrace each other in a big hug, then walk together to the attendance desk. I'm about to tell the attendance clerk my name, when I feel I tap on the shoulder. I turn around, and that's when I see him.

I immediately recognize him. Cameron and I were best friends in first grade through seventh grade. He had to move  to Seattle because of his dad's job offer. Since he moved, we haven't spoken at all to each other. No texting. No skype. None of that. By the looks of it, I guess he's moved back. I suddenly feel uncomfortable in my crop-top, wishing I wore something less revealing. He has definitely changed since the 7th grade, just by looking at him. I can see muscle  showing through his shirt sleeves, and he's definitely gotten a lot taller. In order to make eye contact, I have to stretch my head upwards. A lot. He looks down at he and blinds me with his killer smile. He seems amused by my reaction, and I notice I probably look like I've just seen a ghost. "C-Cameron?" I somehow stutter out of my mouth. He shoves his hands into his jean pockets and continues to smile at me. "Hey Emma." He replies. I realize the attendance lady looks annoyed so I snap out of my astonished look and tell her my name and sign in. Lindsey goes after me, as I turn to talk to Cameron. "W-What are you doing here?" I ask him. He replies by saying, " Well, I mean, I moved back this summer." How have I not heard about him moving? You would think he would have contacted me or something. "This summer! Well why haven't you texted me?" I ask him. "My phone number changed, so all my contacts were deleted." Well I guess that explains some of it. "Wait," I start, "let me see your schedule, so we can see if we have any classes together." He hands me his schedule. "Uh... let's see... we have English... and... math." I say as I hand him back his schedule. "You better watch out," i start to say, "you have my mom for English." He looks up to me from his schedule with eyes the size of saucers, and his face gone white as a sheet. I laugh at his reaction, my mom never really liked Cameron. In 5th grade, he got in a fist fight with one of the school bullies named Jackson. Cameron got suspended because he started it. But only my brother knows that Jackson   initiated the fight, by saying some cruel things about me, and Cameron started a fight to defend me. But even from the start my parents never really liked him. He was always at my house, or I was always at his. I guess he took up all my time, so my parents rarely had just me around. My dad was okay with him, just my mom never really liked him. Lindsey walks over to us once she was  finished checking in. "That lady couldn't understand me! Ugh! I kept saying, 'Lindsey Moreau', and she was like, 'Lindsey Moore'? 'Mora' Like no honey, my name isn't Dora! Ugh! That's why it took SOOOO long." Then she noticed Cameron, "wait, who's this?" After Cameron moved to Seattle, i met Lindsey, who just moved to that area. "Um," I start to say "This is Cameron, my best friend who moved away right before i met you." I explained to her. "Ohhhh, well, uh, hi Cameron." Lindsey says. "Wait," she whispers to me, "Is he gay?" Cameron raises his eyebrows in response. I say, "No, he's not gay. And could you whisper any louder?" Lindsey's face grows red from embarrassment, and mumbles, "oh uh sorry" as she fumbles with her backpack strap. "This is Lindsey." I say to Cameron. He replies with a simple gesture of the hand and stifles a laugh.

My 1st period is Sciemce, which I have with Lindsey, and a few other friends, Ashley, Jayden, and Courtney. Ashley is the kind of girl with Adidias Superstars, straight brown hair with highlights, and ALWAYS smacking her gum. Jayden is just a cool, laid back kind of guy, and he and Ashley are currently dating. Courtney is on the cheerleading squad and always wears     short-shorts or a really short skirt with an elaborate top,  with golden curly locks down past her shoulders. I guess you can say we are in the "popular group" with some other people included. The entire class period the Science teacher, Mrs. Fernau, talks about her daughter the entire class period, and is constantly telling Ashley to spit out her gum. Which Ashley just rolls her eyes in response. When the bell rings, everyone just darts out of the class. The day goes by extremley slow, until math. Me and Cameron sit right next to each other, racing for the spot. Ashley's in this class with me as well as another one of my popular friends Cole, who is always flirting with Ashley and grabs the seat next to her, within the blink of an eye. As he claims the seat she rolls her eyes and smacks her gum. My math teacher, Mr. Black, starts talking. "Today I don't feel like teaching you kids, so just socialize or do whatever kids do these days." We all look at each other. "Cameron leans in close, and whispers, "How old is this guy? Like, 90 years old?" He does look pretty old, he even has a walking cane. Ashley comes over to my desk and leans against it. Cole comes up beside her. Ashley rolls her eyes and says, " Ughh I have a freakin boyfriend! Like, can you not?" Cole just shrugs and stays in place. "You have a boyfriend Emma?" Cole says as he nods  toward Cameron. Ashley rolls her eyes and crosses her arms. I reply by saying,"Uh...um.. no." Cole looks suspicious for a moment, examining us, looking back and forth between us, then shrugs.