Chapter 1

"Sher-" His voice breaks.

I watch him swallow.

He clenches his fists and lowers his face.

He inhales deeply and releases it slowly through his mouth.

My stomach clenches uncomfortably.

Could be guilt or hunger.

I was going to choose hunger and ignore the other possibility.

I clear my throat.

"Short version: Not dead."

He shakes his head.

"Two years. You let me believe you were dead for two years." He whispers.

My throat constricts and I shake my head.

I swallow.

"John."

I place my hand on his shoulder and his reaction is instant.

He shoves my hand off and staggers onto his feet, his chair scrapping loudly on the floor.

I close my mouth.

Some of the other guests of the restaurant look our way.

I raise my hands in surrender.

"John."

He looks up at me, anger and hurt clear in his teary eyes.

"How could you do this to me? One word Sherlock. Just one word from you was all I needed!"

I lower my arms but my body is tense waiting for his fist to connect with my body.

There was a 75% probability that he would take a swing at me and a 98% chance he would not miss.

I was in no physical state to avoid it if he took a lunge at me.

"And then what?"

He frowns.

"What?"

"What would you have done then?"

"I could have come with you. I could have helped you."

"Exactly why I didn't tell you. Don't look at me like that. I know you are capable, both as a soldier and a doctor. But as you have constantly reminded me, friends protect each other. I could not endanger your life any more than I already had. It was something I had to finish alone."

"But-"

"And I knew Moriarty's people would be looking at you. So I had to make my death as real as possible and as believable to them and to you."

"Sherlock."

John always responded better to truth and heartfelt apology.

I bite my lip before forcing myself to say the words I kept close to my chest.

"John. I am really sorry for the pain this has caused you. I wanted to contact you so many times."

He snorts.

"Shut up. Just shut your mouth Sherlock."

He takes a deep breath and I believe for a moment that he is going to hit me.

His fists are clenched, he has widen his stance and his shoulders are squared.

I prepare myself.

"You idiot." He says breathlessly.

I frown.

He throws his arms around my waist as he hugs me tight.

I can't help the pained groan that escapes me.