truth #3

September 9

Truth #3: "Your wish is my command, Mr Potter."

Draco walked into the staff room with slumped shoulders and slightly disheveled hair. It was Monday; he'd already survived a week of the school year. He already felt like complete shit, and school had barely started; it was bound to get worse. Nonetheless, he needed a coffee to get him through the hardships of teaching greasy high school students. When he walked through the door, however, his shoulders immediately went back and his posture stiffened itself automatically. Mr Potter was sitting at the table. He looked a mixture of bored and tired, holding his head in his left hand and staring blankly at his cup of coffee. When he heard the door open, his head perked up, and he smiled when he saw who it was.

"Good morning, Mr Malfoy!" He greeted cheerfully, his previous boredom somehow vanishing. Draco wondered how on Earth Potter could sound so delighted when it was Monday morning. It'll always remain a mystery, he eventually decided.

He made his way to the coffee machine, but not before smiling at Potter in greeting. He hoped that Potter could see the bags under his eyes and understand that he wasn't in the mood for optimism.

When his coffee was done, though, he found himself sitting beside Potter. Odd, considering his personality; he wasn't one to approach people, but Potter was there, looking bored. He looked tired before, but that seemed to completely vanish.

"Good morning," he mumbled, feeling bad for not saying it earlier, and immediately began sipping at his much-needed coffee. He saw Potter smile at him out of the corner of his eye.

"Good morning indeed," was the reply, and Draco thought that was all Potter would say. He was wrong. "You know, I love kids, but I can kinda see where you're coming from now. They are kinda smelly."

Draco laughed slightly despite himself. "Glad you've opened your eyes to the truth, Potter," he said, still smiling. He was slightly confused at his own actions and the fact that he seemed at ease around Potter. He should be tense and awkward, but for some reason, he wasn't? Odd.

"Harry," Potter said.

"Huh?"

"Call me Harry," he repeated, and Draco scoffed, rolling his eyes playfully.

"Not a chance, Potter," he said, and Potter shoved him lightly, pushing on his upper arm.

"Whatever, Malfoy," he teased back, glaring at him mockingly. Draco could tell the expression was fake; his lips were curled at the corners, only a little bit.

They sat in silence for a few moments, and Draco found himself enjoying Potter's company.  The silence was comfortable, and was filled only with the quiet sounds of them each drinking their coffees. Regrettably, Draco remembered that he had a quick errand to run; he needed to buy Kraft Dinner mac and cheese from the dollar store.

"Good chat, Potter, but I need to run a quick errand," he quickly said, and finished the rest of his coffee in two sips.

"See ya, Malfoy," Potter said as Draco got up and tucked his chair in. He was about to leave before he remembered his manners.

"You want me to get you anything? I'm going to the dollar store," he asked politely, wanting to do something nice for once in a while.

Potter's eyes lit up behind his glasses, and Draco found himself somehow smiling again. "Yes, please! Gummy bears!" He practically shouted, completely excited. Draco chuckled slightly. He's such a kid.

"Your wish is my command, Mr Potter," he joked, winking at the now-excited teacher, who was grinning. "Consider it your welcome gift."

"Thanks, Malfoy!" Potter said, and Draco smiled once more to him before walking to the door. Before opening it, however, he turned back around.

"Call me Draco," he said almost nervously, looking at Potter through the blond hair that was partially covering his eyes.

"Nah. I prefer Malfoy," Potter joked, and Draco rolled his eyes; he half-expected him to reply with that.

"Be back in twenty," he said, before finally leaving.

Who knows... maybe he and this Potter guy can actually be friends.