truth #4

September 20

Truth #4: "Hell no."

Draco's first period class was a complete bore. He was usually fine with freshmen, as they were less rowdy, but this class was too quiet. The only sounds in the room included the light scratching of pens against paper and the occasional cough. Draco, who was too used to working in noise, was going insane.

He glanced at the clock. 9:13 am, thank God. Class was over in 7 minutes. He didn't know how long he could last.

He heard the door open, and he glanced from the clock towards the door. To his surprise, it was Mr Potter, the math teacher, standing at his door with a sheepish expression. "May I come in?" He asked, and Draco beckoned him over.

Potter was an acquaintance of sorts. Draco wasn't social in any way, but since school started, a sort of friendship naturally sparked between the two. He felt at ease around Potter and never felt awkward, so he felt no need to push him away. He was a decent man, Draco found.

"What's up?" Draco asked, and flinched slightly when his voice echoed rather loudly through the quiet classroom; this room was seriously way too quiet.

"I was wondering if I could interest you in a friendly class competition next period," Potter said, grinning lightly. Draco felt himself raise an eyebrow.

"Competition?" He questioned. He never had a sort of competition. He felt that he should think it sounded stupid, but he felt curiosity and interest overtaking his thoughts. It sounded... unique.

"I'm in," he agreed with a nod, and Potter smiled.

"Great. I'll be back in a few with my class," he said before leaving in a hurry.

Draco stared at the open doorway for a few moments after Potter left. He really was something. If not good company, he was certainly interesting, unlike this fucking class.

Second period soon commenced, and Draco's students poured in. This class was also a group of freshmen, but Draco found that they were much more pleasant. They certainly weren't as rowdy as seniors, but the room was never silent. Some of them even talked to Draco, greeting him when they walk in. When everyone walked in, Draco stood up from his desk.

"Hello, everyone," he greeted, and the class quieted down when he spoke.

"Good morning, Mr Malfoy."

"So," he began, grinning slightly. "Mr Potter has challenged this class to a competition of sorts." At this, the class erupted into chatter; after all, classes usually never had competitions. "I have no idea what it actually is, but Mr Potter will be here soon with his class, so just sit tight until then."

A few minutes later, Potter arrived at the door, and judging by the amount of noise, his class was waiting behind him. Draco nodded at him with a smile in acknowledgement and Potter's class filed into the back of the room.

"Wait here a sec, guys," Draco heard Potter say before he walked up to the front of the room. "Hey," he said to Draco, a wide grin on his face.

"So, what's this competition?"

Instead of replying, Potter just grinned cheekily before turning to the class. "Attention!" The class immediately quieted and turned to Potter, although they all still seemed excited. "As you know, we're having a bit of a friendly competition. The winning class will get McDonald's fries from the teacher of the losing class."

Draco scoffed, glaring at the back of Potter's head. He couldn't say he cared, since he definitely had a decent amount of money, but the damn git could've notified him beforehand. After all, he just might have to buy fries for 30-ish freshmen kids. What a joy.

"Now, the task. Each class will get into a large group and work as a team. The competition... is a rap battle."

Draco felt his stomach drop to the ground and his eyes grow wide. As the class erupted into noise once more, he grabbed Potter's arm and pulled him to him rather aggressively.

"The fuck do you think you're doing?" He whispered quietly so the kids couldn't hear their teacher cuss. Potter didn't flinch at Draco's rough tone of voice; he only grinned.

"Why, I'm leading a competition, of course," he said, laughing at Draco's aggravation. Before Draco could try to talk him out of it, he grabbed the class's attention once more. "Each class needs to rap about their subject, so my class will be rapping about math, of course. Again, winning class will get fries, as well as bragging rights," he said, grinning at the huge group of about 60 students in the classroom.

"Get started, you have half an hour to prepare!" He said, and then turned back to Draco, who was fuming.

"Seriously, Potter, what on Earth are you doing? A rap battle? That is seriously the most cringe-worthy thing I've ever heard," he complained, but Potter only smirked in reply.

"What, are you scared, Malfoy?"

Draco scrunched his nose unintentionally as he glared at Potter. "Hell no. Bring it the fuck on, nerd."

"Just watch, geek. My class is going to win."

An hour and one rather intense rap battle later, Harry Potter was sitting in a nearby chair, staring blankly at the floor in front of him in shock. On the other hand, Draco Malfoy was standing proudly at the front of the room with a cocky grin on his face.

Originally, he thought that the idea of a rap battle was incredibly stupid and childish, but about half way through he found himself getting more competitive than he'd ever been. Who knew the serious and sophisticated Mr Malfoy could get so competitive over something so childish?

As his class cheered at their victory, Draco turned to look at Potter with a grin, who glared up at him. "You just got annihilated!" Draco laughed, teasing the math teacher who now had to buy 30 large fries. For some reason, Draco couldn't stop smiling. Maybe it was the adrenaline?

Potter stood up and dropped his glare. He hesitantly stuck out his hand towards Draco. "Good game?" He said, and Draco had to hold back his laughter.

He put his hand out, about to grasp Potter's. Potter also brought his hand closer, but right before they met in a handshake, Draco pulled his hand away. "Sike! Too slow," he said, grinning obnoxiously.

Potter shoved Draco playfully, who shoved back. Behind them, the class was chattering about. Hah, Draco thought, Potter needs to buy fries for 30 students. What a loser.

Maybe he was too proud to admit it at the time, but looking back, that day was probably the most interesting he's had in a while, thanks to a nerd named Harry Potter.

It was a good day, and somehow, Draco found that he had fun for the first time in a long while.