CHAPTER 1: BIOLOGY (Kai)

I slammed my hand on the alarm clock as it buzzed loudly in the early morning. Ten minutes more, okay? I rolled on my back and covered my eyes with my arm. I just didn't have the energy to get ready for school yet. Heaven forbid. I hadn't finished my essay yet! Plus, we had a quiz in History and Biology. Life is so fantastic.

"Kai-ah, wake up. You don't want to be late for school," Dad called outside my room.

"Coming!" I groaned. I scrambled out of bed and went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. The last thing I wanted was Dad pulling me out of my bed. I sighed.

Dressed in my school uniform, my backpack slung on one shoulder, I padded down the stairs, feeling indifferent. Dad was in the dining room, his forehead sticking out from the newspaper he's reading. He was wearing his usual suit. My family owned a well-known company, The SME Group. Ever since mom died because of a lung cancer, Dad had been running the company then.

"Breakfast?" Dad asked as I rummaged through the fridge.

"Thanks, but I'll just grab some doughnuts on my way," I told him as I poured orange juice on a glass. I finished my drink within seconds. "I'll be going then."

"Behave," Dad said, putting the newspaper down and cocking an eyebrow at me, his dark hair carefully styled.

"Don't worry Dad," I waved my hand at him as I opened the door leading to the garage. The last time I got in trouble, Dad grounded me. My friends, Xiumin, Baekhyun, Chen, Tao, Sehun, and I - we called ourselves "Team XOXO" - played some prank on one of our classmates. No need for details. Trust me. One of the professors found out and we got detention. I didn't know he would also tell our parents about it. I hated that professor since then.

I walked to my car, a silver Audi A8. Dad bought it for me for my 19th birthday. Actually, he wanted to buy me the R8 but I told him an A8 will do. The thing is I don't like showing off. I guess I'm too...modest. He told me I could use one of his cars for school and the R8 for other occasions but I told him I wanted a car that I could use anywhere. And the A8 became an official celebrity the first time I drove it to school - people were actually gaping at my car. What more if I drove the R8 that day?

I shoved my bag in the passenger seat and started the car. I pulled out of the garage and turned the car to our long driveway. I gained speed as I hit the freeway. I looked at the dashboard. Twenty minutes to 8. I still have time to stop by at my favorite café. I paused at an intersection, waiting for the traffic lights to go green. BWCW Café was just a couple of blocks away. I turned the air condition higher as I pressed on the accelerator.

I parked the car in front of BWCW. I turned off the engine and got out. A scent of cinnamon filled the air as I enter the café.

"Kai-ssi," Sunny, a small cute girl, greeted me from the counter.

"Hello," I greeted back as I walked towards her. "Can I have four pieces of doughnuts, please?"

"Chocolate?" She asked. I nodded. "Anything else?"

"Uh..." I looked at the menu for something to drink. "I'll have a Frappuccino."

"Coming right up."

I waited as she put my order on a paper bag. I handed her my payment as she handed the bag.

"Keep the change," I told her.

"Have a nice day." She smiled at me and I smiled back.

****

I was on my way to my first class, Biology, when a familiar voice called out from behind me.

"Hey D-boy!" I winced. D as in dollar, Dollar-boy. I turned around and saw Sehun walking towards me.