CHAPTER 5: THE FIRST SNOW (Kai)

"Is it part of your job to die for me too?"

"To that extent? Yes. It's my job to protect you."

Blood pounded in my head. I couldn't get enough air. My heart kept hammering my rib cage as Kyungsoo pushed me to another hallway. Keep running. Keep running. I stopped dead.

Master stood a few meters away from us. I stopped breathing. He aimed both guns, one for me and one for Kyungsoo. I couldn't raise my own gun. I was paralyzed as I stared at Master, horrified. Kyungsoo had his gun aimed at Master as well. His hands were steady, his face calm.

"Shoot and both of you will die. You killed two of my brothers. That's unforgivable," Master said, watching us carefully.

The gun felt heavier in my hands.

"Move and I'll shoot," Master threatened. I swallowed nervously. "Give me my money and I'll spare both of you."

I doubt it. Out of the corner of my eye, Kyungsoo was staring intently at Master, his look calculating. Kai, think. Come on, think. I couldn't get my mind to work. Sweat trickled down my forehead.

Then time seemed to slow down as Kyungsoo moved. Master fired. Kyungsoo fired too and hit Master squarely in the heart. He fell down with a thud on the floor. Dead. Master's bullet zeroed in on me. I couldn't move fast. Time seemed to split again. I guess this is goodbye. I'm sorry, Kyungsoo. I love you. Dad, my team, I love you all. I closed my eyes, ready for the blow.

A blow that never came.

I opened my eyes and saw Kyungsoo, his back to me.

"NO!"

I caught him as he fell down.

"Kyungsoo, no. No. No. Please," I sobbed. He got shot in the stomach. Blood was all over his torso. I put his head on my lap as tears fell from my eyes. I took hold of his face.

His hands were coated in blood as he reached for my face. He struggled to speak.

"D-d-do-don't cr-cry. I don't wa-want...to s-s-see you cry."

"Kyungsoo-yah." I sniffed. Tears flowed steadily down my face. "Kyungsoo, please. I'll take you to the doctor."

Kyungsoo smiled. "I-I won't m-ma-make it."

"No! Don't say that," I cried. "Don't leave me."

"I'll be al-always by yo-your s-si-side." He coughed and spluttered blood.

Footsteps echoed down the hall.

"Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo! No!"

I looked up to see Goth boy, Luhan, running towards us, four others more trailed behind him.

"Kyungsoo," a small guy with dark hair and fair skin fell down on his knees beside me.

"S-Suho hyung," Kyungsoo whispered as he reached for him.

"Quick. Get him in the car," a tall guy with caramel hair said. There were tears in his eyes. All of us had.

"Chanyeol." Kyungsoo reached for him too.

"Hang on, Kyungsoo. We'll take you to the hospital," another tall guy with honey blonde hair said.

"Kr-Kris hyung, Lay hyung, L-Luhan hyung." Kyungsoo coughed again. Blood trickled down his mouth. "Kai. Coach Y-Yu-Yunho. I lo-love you all guys."

"Kyungsoo, please," Luhan sobbed as he stroked Kyungsoo's forehead.

"Hold on, Kyungsoo," Lay, I thought, said. His voice cracked.