*Chapter 23*

Christmas day was different. Draco and Ron pretended to be friends after they left Snape's house. And Harry and Severus spent most the day apart. They kept glancing at each other and smiling. It was obvious for anyone who knew to look for it. Like Hermione. She suspected this. She could see the longing looks and wondered if she should say anything. Or if there was anyone she could say anything to.

She just watched and waited. Hermione found herself wondering why Harry didn't tell her. Why he thought that he couldn't tell her. They were best friends. Well Hermione still considered Harry her best friend. They were once close and hoped to be that way again. Hermione felt like a background character in movie that she wasn't supposed to be in. Ron was off and making friends with Draco and Harry was with Snape and there was just nothing going for her. She had her classes but that didn't seem to matter anymore. Hermione was leaning against a wall watching life pass as she went no where.

"Seems like you have a lot on your mind, Granger." Malfoy said as he leaned next to her.

Hermione didn't look at him. She kept staring at the wall on the other side of the room. "What do you want?" She said. Her tone wasn't mean, it wasn't exactly nice. She sounded bored.

"I'm just trying to be nice." Malfoy shrugged.

"I'm just watching life leave me behind." Hermione wasn't exactly sure what that mean but that was exactly how she felt right now.

"Maybe you should change something. Find someone you like, kiss them, fall in love. Cut your hair or change the color. Don't stand there and watch life change, change with life." Draco suggested. He pushed himself off the wall and left Hermione there to ponder her thoughts.

Maybe Draco was right. The thought kind of shocked her. Draco? Right? That was new.

***** Page Break *****

When Christmas day started to end, Harry, Ron, and Draco found themselves back at Sev's house. They were warm and full and kind of tired but Harry was done ignoring things.

Harry sat on the couch next to Severus  and watched Ron and Draco. "So, you're dating?" He asked but it sounded more like a statement.

Ron sat down in a chair and Draco sat in his lap. Harry watched Ron wrap his arms around Draco's waist. It seemed more for show than anything.

"Yea, we are." Ron smiled at Draco who smiled back. "We aren't telling everyone. You two are the only one who knows."

"Okay." Severus said. He didn't smile or frown. He was neutral. Severus didn't expect this to last. So, he wouldn't pretend to be happy or upset. Harry, on the other hand, was having a harder time concealing his emotions. He seemed to be stuck between utter disbelief and anger but he took a deep breath and nodded his head.

"Good for you guys." Harry stood and walked to Sev's room.

He wasn't unhappy about the thing. He was angry. Harry was angry that his best friend would date someone be despised. But Harry was doing the same thing so he was angry that he was angry.

Harry was only alone for a second before Severus walked in.

"Harry." Severus stated firmly. He sounded disappointed. "You know it must have been hard for Ron to tell you something like this. Why would you walk away? He probably thinks you're upset with him."

"I am upset." Harry groaned. "Ron, my best mate, is dating Draco Malfoy. The same Draco Malfoy that said he liked you a few days ago."

"He moved on. Why does it matter?" Severus asked. "They're dating, not getting married. It's fine."

"It's not fine." Harry wanted to shout but he just shook his head. "I don't want to talk about this right now."

Severus sighed and wrapped his arms around Harry's waist and pulled him close. "Okay."

Severus kissed Harry. Harry started to unbotton Sev's shirt and take off his own.

Harry was on his knees and about to open Sev's pants when someone knocked on their door.

"Hey Severus, you in there?" Came the all too familiar voice of Harry's Godfather.

They both froze and stared at each other.

"Um... One second." Severus called. Harry stood up quickly and ran to the bathroom that was attached to Sev's room.

Sev pulled on a shirt and tried to calm himself down as he opened the door.

"Hello." Severus murmured. His heart was pounding in his chest.

"I guess the kids are in bed. I didn't see them when I came in." Sirius smiled and tried to pretend that this wasn't awkward.

"Uh, yes. They went to bed soon after we got here."

"Severus, I wanted to talk to you about Harry." Sirius didn't have the patience for small talk. He wanted to get straight to the point.

A/N: I'm leaving it there. You're welcome.