A New Start

Elboron awoke with the morning sun streaming through his window of the ground floor room he stayed in here in Hidor. He stretched his arms wide and rolled back the sheet he was using. His bare chest was well built and well toned for his forty-nine years. For though not to the extent of Aderthon or Eldarion, Faramir's family was rich with Numenorean blood. He still looked young. Or perhaps not quite young, but certainly youthful.

Walking to the window across the intricately woven rug beneath his feet, he looked out on the town. The market was already bustling with activity as Hidor's people tried to get as much outdoor activity done as they could before the sun climbed too high. Elboron watched as a child chased after a small ball through the street, dodging a camel laden with cargo. The boy's tousled hair was black and sweat held parts of it to his intent face. Music flowed from the bazaar to the House of the Chief, instruments of many strings that were plucked and drums to accompany them.

"Elboron," came a voice and knock at the door. "Can I come in?"

"Give me a moment, Fëalas," he said through the lightly held together door. He slipped into a loose button down shirt over his flowing pants given to him by the chief's seamstresses. "Come on in."

Fëalas opened the door and closed it behind her. The half-elf's rich red hair was neatly braided down her back, reaching almost to her waistline. She wore light colored Dunédain style clothing, tan and white being the predominant shades. These also had been crafted by the people of Harad for her and her men as well.

"My men have finished breakfast. I have them getting our horses ready. The camel's shouldn't be needed, as the roads are well paved." Fëalas sat down on the chair beside a desk of light wood. "We'll be ready to go as soon as the two Ladies are ready."

"Malika is itching to go," Elboron smiled, "if yesterday is any indication. Adira will be the tougher challenge."

"I have full confidence that she will come when needed," Fëalas assured him.

"Well, let's go find out. The morning is young, it would be best to start soon." Elboron opened the door after grabbing his bags and held it open for Fëalas. She nodded her thanks and walked through before him.

Indeed, Fëalas' many rangers were nowhere to be seen when they walked downstairs. None, except Sarnor. He was standing patiently by the door, sword strapped on and bow across his back.

"Alright, Sarnor. Everyone's out?" Fëalas turned to him. "Bags have been sent to the horses?"

"Yes ma'am. Shall I take Lord Elboron's packs down to the horses?" Sarnor looked quizzically at the bags he held.

"Please do," Fëalas nodded to him. "We will hopefully be down to join everyone soon."

Sarnor took the packs Elboron held and carried them to where the horses were being stabled. Meanwhile, Elboron and Fëalas made their way not far to the main Great House of the Chief. Two Haradrim warriors stood guard and opened the doors for them. Inside, Malika sat twiddling her thumbs in impatience while Adira stood talking to her parents.

Fëalas looked on Adira. They had spoken only a few times, and each time, Adira had covered her lower face with the beautiful red scarf she wore in the presence of strangers. Today, today was to be the first day she would take it off, to symbolize the trust she was granting them.

Her brown eyes fell upon the two Gondorians as they entered. Malika leapt up immediately. She ran to grab her bags, though most were being carried by Jamila her maidservant. Lady Jadyra and Chief Saleem led their eldest daughter over to Elboron and Fëalas.

"Today marks a new day in relations between our two nations," Saleem said to them. "I present to you my daughters to be raised and hopefully courted to your prince. Take care of them."

Adira lifted her hands to pull down her veil. It was red, as red as the sand of her home during a dust storm at sunset. She was nervous, but felt herself also beginning to feel excited for the journey North. It was an incredible opportunity really. Her hands felt the loops across her ears and she removed them.

Elboron and Fëalas bowed deeply to the family, but especially to Adira. Fëalas admired the woman's bravery, the ability to leave one's home, one's country, and go to an entirely new land to hopefully marry a foreign prince. Fëalas wasn't sure she's have been able to do it.

Adira bowed back to them slightly, and without a single quiver on her voice, responded. "I am ready."

With final goodbyes, Adira and Malika hugged their parents and siblings. Amir, Hakim, and Iesha all bid them farewell. As Mahmud lifted Adira's few remaining bags onto his shoulders, Fëalas caught sight of a pair of scimitar swords hidden in wrap. She restrained herself from smiling. She had just known that Adira was feisty.

"Come, Lady Adira, Lady Malika," Elboron bowed for them and opened the door. "It is time."

The servants Mahmud and Jamila went behind the little posse, carrying what remained of the girls' bags that had not been taken to the horses already. The horses of Harad were beautiful creatures, usually in bay, chestnut, or black with long, lean heads and high tails. They had been bred for war and occasionally travel by the Haradrim.

They walked down to the North gate of Hidor. Through the bazaar they went, where people stopped and bowed to the passing group. Adira was loved by her people, and would be sorely missed. Malika… less so. She was a troublemaker in the city. The constant music of chatter and stringed instruments continued without halting despite the group's disruption of the norm. The world kept on spinning.

When Adira reached the pale skinned warriors by the horses, she insisted her main bag be on her horse. She caught the proud look that the red headed Fëalas shot her, as if she knew.

Yes I can wield a sword as well as any man. She nodded back at the half elf silently. We women should stick together.

A young one of the rangers, Sarnor she though she recalled someone call him, helped her fasten her pack to her black horse. Without much effort, she pulled herself up onto the great beast.

"Alright. Everyone up!" Fëalas ordered her men mount their horses.

And so they began the journey North, a decision that would change everyone's lives forever.