Chapter 7

Caught off guard, Liam and I both quickly turn away from each other. I try to hide the growing redness of my face as Liam quickly jumps up and walks to the kitchen once more.

"I thought you said you would be a couple of hours?" I use this accusation to cover up my growing embarrassment.

"Yea, I lied."

"What the hell, Ravyn! Not cool." I turn my face towards her and scowl.

"Hey," She puts her hands up in mock surrender, "It's not my fault that my mom happens to be extremely organized, and-," Her mouth begins to stretch into a smirk as she finally looks at my face. "OMG. You didn't? You did?" I try once more to cover my face back up, but she peels my hands away and giggles uncontrollably. "He kissed you?!"

"Actually, she kissed me."

"Ohmygosh! Are you serious?" She gasps, and loudly at that.

"You're not helping, Liam," I smack her hands away, "Why don't you go coddle him?"

"That's your job now." She wriggles her eyebrows suggestively.

"Jeez, you can be such a perv sometimes."

"Maybe. But at least I know when a good match is made." I watch as she twirls her finger in the air and pretends to throw a lasso towards the kitchen.

"Hey! Let go of me!"

I watch as Ravyn effortlessly drags a squirming Liam back onto the couch. As soon as he sits down, she snaps her fingers and he's released from her invisible grasp. Thinking he's free, he tries to stand but fails.

"Hey! What gives? Why can't I stand?"

"I just wanted to make sure that you stay put this time."

He looks to me for help, but I just shrug.

"Sorry, can't help you there." I chuckle at his current predicament. He smiles at me and sends a wave of butterflies through me.

"Barf. Gross. Ok, let's get back to business-"

"Wait, weren't you the one trying to get us together and now it's gross?" I look at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, I don't wanna see it."

"But-"

"Ok, shut up. No more talk. Time to read."

"Read?" Liam asks.

Ravyn hands each of us a book, "Each book mentions 'Black Wolf' at some point. It's our job to look into it. Now get reading. If you find any real information, share it..." she looks at me, "out loud."

"Wait. I'm still stuck on the 'read' part of this whole thing. Why exactly are we doing this?"

Ravyn and I look at each other and she gives me a look, surprised that I didn't tell him. I try to give her a look back that asks if she would in my predicament. Liam clears his throat, still oblivious to our odd way of communicating.

I guess I better tell him. I said I trust him, now it's my turn to prove it.

"Remember when I told you I had saved your life?" He nods. "Well, I sorta have this crazy ability that allows me to grant the power of life and death at my will." I spit the last part out as if it tasted like chunky milk. Quickly and mumbled.

"Wait. What?" He squints his eyes as if that will help him understand what I just said.

I take a deep breath and try once more, this time much more clear, "I have the power to give and take life. I used that ability to save you from the silver poisoning."