four

his words echo through my head, the nausea slowly itching up my throat as my look settles on him and my body freezes completely.

"reina..." kaden says, a hint of concern appearing on his face," you okay?"

shifting in his seat a little, he slides his hand over the cold table surface. he places his warm palm over the back of my hand but i jerk away, my eyes narrowing at him with pure anger instead.

he may think his touch or his impenetrable gaze is enough to make me believe the concern washing over his face is real, but i know better.

he never truly cared about me and he has never been my friend; i can see him for exactly what he is now. i should've seen him that way since the beginning, i shouldn't have given in.

"don't act like you care." i spit at him, feeling the rage making my insides boil. "there's no need to put on a show for me, kaden."

the muscle in his jaw twitches and he pulls his hand away, bringing it back to the side of his porcelain plate.

"sorry for showing a concern for the girl i'm fucking, then." he snaps back at me.

his voice is laced with disgust, making me wonder if i've ever done something that would prompt him to treat me this way for a second. the idea is laughable and i know i shouldn't even encourage these kind of thoughts in my head.

i'm travis' sister. that is enough of an answer to everything.

"be concerned about your other hoes, then, don't you have them enough?"

the grip around his silver knife tightens and his face contorts into an aggravating grimace. "i think you're forgetting who exactly are you taking to right now." he tilts his head to one side, letting an amused smirk curl up the corners of his mouth a little. "i suggest you watch your tone, baby."

his words twist the knot in my stomach. i want to curse him out for being such a fucking asshole, for having the audacity to be stringing people surrounding him like puppets but i know i'm not in the position to do so.

i ball my fists in my lap and make the attempt to move, pushing the chair away from the table. i'm not going to sit here with him, pretending to enjoy my cup of coffee (that i didn't even want to order) as if nothing was happening.

"sit back down," he tells me sharply, making sure to emphasize each and every syllable duly, "we have some stuff to talk about, if i remember correctly."

"i'm not interested in talking with you anymore."

the right corner of his mouth twists up again. "i think you're going to be interested in this. don't you want to know how's travis doing? he told me you deliberately dodged his call every single time he tried to call you last week."

"i don't see how me talking to him is any of your business." i seethe as i sit back down while desperately trying to ignore all the curious stares pointed in our direction.

"oh darling," he uses his mock tone on me, accompanied with a feigned pout settling on his lips, "you're forgetting what's at stakes here."

"i know damn well what's at stakes here, kaden." i push through my clenched teeth, working my jaw back and forth in order to take my anger down a notch.

"well,  great," he laughs under his breath, leaning a little closer to me, "then i guess we can finally move to the main reason of your arrival. time is money, reina. you should know that better than anyone."

i don't dare to speak up again and he makes it a point to keep his watchful stare at me for what feels like forever. the thoughts in my head are jumbled-- i don't know whether i want him to speak or not. i know there's no point in dragging this, though i'm much more scared of the words that are about to roll off his tongue.

he turns his head away from me, inhaling one last deep breath before he begins speaking again, "i payed the caution for travis last week." he sighs. "you would know if you didn't ignore his calls."

though, the information doesn't really surprise me, i can't help but suck in a breath. "w--what happened? did he fuck up again?"

"it's travis we're talking about here," kaden snorts loudly, "of course he fucked up. do you think police tends to arrest people just for the fun of it?"

i stare at him in silence, waiting for him to continue when i suddenly feel my phone vibrate in the pocket of my jeans. i don't make an attemp to move though, it can wait.

"i'm not about to tell you what it was this time, reina. i'm not a fucking telltale. you have to ask travis." he rakes his long fingers through his cropped brown hair, "though, what i can tell you is that travis wanted to change the terms of our little deal."

he leans another few inches closer just as i feel his warm hand crawl up my knee, continuing its way further up my thigh. "looks like you're not going to get rid of me that soon, baby."'

please don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter

please don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter. i love to interact with you.

mind sharing your opinion on kaden and travis?

btw thank you so so so much for ranking as #387 in short story yesterday! you guys are so freaking amazing.