five

i fumble with the key in my hand, trying to be as silent as possible while managing to push it into the small keyhole. carefully unlocking the door to my shared apartment, i step inside and release a breath, relief instantly washing over me. thank god, lauren didn't wake up.

"where were you?"

his deep voice startles me and i immediately spin around. i narrow my eyes a little, attempting to see his face clearly in the thick darkness once i finally locate him sitting comfortably on the couch and silenty curse myself for jinxing my luck.

"i--" i desperately scramble for a decent lie, "--i just went out for a quick ride. marissa accidentally forgot some of her papers in my book and she needed them back."

he raises his arm from its position in his lap and looks down to what i assume are his watches. "at nine p.m.? you were gone for three hours. it's almost midnight."

"it's not my fault she forgot them."

he sighs heavily before dropping his head backwards, resting it on the couch headrest. "i don't understand you, reina." he mutters, his gaze focused purely on the darkness occasionally accompanied with the flicker of lights behind the window. "you know how dangerous it is to be running around especially after those two dead girls were found last year, yet you seem to not give a damn about wandering completely alone for three hours straight. do you have any idea how scared i've been? you didn't even bother to check your damn phone!"

he pushes off the couch but remains standing frozen in his spot as if he was afraid to get any closer to me.

"i'm sorry..." i whisper, "i forgot my phone in the car when i went to marrisa's."

"you said that to me already today." he rakes his fingers through his chestnut curls, taking a tiny step closer. "i don't want you to feel like you have to lie to me, reina. whatever it is, you can tell me. we'll figure it out together."

he slowly closes the remaining space between us, as the last words leave his mouth, and leans down a little to get a better look at me. "i hate what's going on between us. i hate that you don't trust me enough to let me in anymore."

"this isn't about trust, lauren." i snap at him, suddenly finding myself beyond irritated with the whole situation. "there are so many other things going on in my life that you have no idea about and i'm so done with doing what people expect me to do! if i don't want to tell you, i won't. don't fucking push it."

his brows furrow in confusion at my sudden outburst as he straightens up, pulling his head away from me. "ok-ay. you don't have to tell me anything then."

a flicker of hurt flashes across his eyes, clear as the day even despite the darkness enveloping us, and i get a sudden urge to comfort him. i take a small step forward but think better of it, turning toward the bathroom instead.

every single cell of my body screams at me, pleading to do what's right but i'm too scared to face him. the force, however, is stronger and i'm not able to push it away anymore. i've done it too many times already.

i clutch the bathroom knob tightly with my hand and inhale a deep breath, bracing myself for all the shattering consequences that are about to come.

i've never considered myself a coward but right now giving up is the only thing left for me. even if it means giving up something that's possibly the most important and constant thing in my life. my only home.

"i can't do this anymore, lauren." i manage to choke out as i desperately try to hold back the tears. "i just can't--"

"what?" his voice echoes through the living room as he shuffles to get closer to me but i don't dare to look at him. "what the hell do you mean you can't do this, reina?"

"this. us. i can't be with you anymore."

forcing my trembling hand, i turn the knob and step into the darkness of the bathroom, snapping the door shut with my back before locking it behind me.

if you enjoyed this chapter consider giving it a vote or leaving a comment, please!

also, thank you so much all the support on this book! we've been ranking at #157 in short story today & reached 1K reads yesterday! how incredible is that? haha. (i know it's not that high but it means a lot to me so ty once again) i'm really glad so many people enjoy reading reina's story.

mind sharing your thoughts on this chapter?

xoxo, nessa.