Chapter Five

With the engine cut, The Kanton Dream slowed to a crawl until finally the boat was bouncing back and forth on an almost non-existent current. Sam looked out into the distance to be confronted by an endless blue ocean disappearing over the horizon. It was so quiet, so eerie; there was nothing but the breeze in her ears and the sloshing of the water against the hull. Gripping the handrail, the swaying became almost hypnotic. Taking a deep breath she tasted only salty heat and her own thirst. They had arrived in the middle of nothing and nowhere.

"I wonder what happens now," Skylar said, standing beside her.

"I wish I knew," Sam replied. Despite the hot sun on her back, she felt the sudden prickle of goose pimples.

The door to the wheelhouse opened and her father walked out.

"I'm telling you Roger," Keith said. "I don't know what to expect. I've never tried just talking to the Ochre before. It's never been necessary."

"Because normally you just kill them," Roger retorted. "Isn't that right, Kanton?"

Sam's father suddenly appeared very tired. "I've told you before, Ketch, don't call me that. It's not my name anymore."

"Sure, sure," Roger replied. "Well go on then, throw in that globe thing of yours before they sink us."

Keith walked across the deck to a box lodged near the keel. Reaching into it, he removed the silver globe with both hands. It was the size of a man's head.

"What's that?" Sam asked.

"A memento of a life badly spent," Keith declared, dropping it over the side. "The servo guidance system will take over now and seek out the Ochre base."

"The Trench is eight kilometres straight down," Roger said. "Can that thing handle that sort of pressure?"

Keith raised his eyebrows. "Of course, that globe has survived planets with enough atmospheric pressure to crush you to the size of a peanut."

Roger shrugged. "Peanut, eh?" and then dubiously peered over the side. "Now what?"

"We wait."

Skylar fiddled with her hair. "How long, uncle?"

"How long is a piece of string?" Keith asked, looking out over the ocean. Then he turned to her, his expression apologetic. "I don't know, Skylar, hours, days, maybe never. I'm knocking on the door but who's to say anyone will answer."

Skylar nodded, while Roger rolled his eyes and returned to the wheelhouse. Sam walked across to her father.

He grasped her hand tightly. "If this doesn't work, Sam, we'll have to go. All of us."

Sam looked up. "Go where?"

"Another planet, somewhere," he answered. "A little colony where we can live unassuming boring lives in peace."

"What happens to Borealis?"

"It will go on, eventually," he said. "Culls happen all the time. You just don't hear about them."

Sam's mouth opened.

"I only know a few of the people on this planet," Keith continued. "I've liked most of them and I'll do what I can to save them, but if that isn't enough, I will save my family."

Wide-eyed and speechless Sam glanced across at the wheelhouse. "What about Uncle Roger and Skylar?"

Her father followed her gaze. "Of course, they're my family too," he chuckled. "For better and worse."