Chapter Fifteen

Josella let go of Roger's arm as they entered the Biotech Storage Chamber and took a running leap onto the roof of the only tank that remained intact. Around her the room was vibrating hard enough for her teeth to chatter. She knew that vibration was only the beginning. The ship would break up on re-entry, of that she had no doubt. The tank offered a chance of survival, a very slim chance, she admitted to herself, but a chance nonetheless. The other four tanks were all in various states of ruin, but somehow this one had been spared. Wrenching open the hatch she found herself hoping there was more to its endurance than just luck.

"Right," she said crouching down upon the plexifibre glass and reaching for Roger. "Take my hand."

He almost did, and then pulled away. "Shouldn't you take him out first?" His gaze was upon the current occupant of the tank, the Kanton spare, a mindless flesh suit drifting serenely in the green nutrient fluid.

Josella shook her head. "No, if we make it down, Kanton will need it."

Roger took a step back, screwing his face up in disgust. "I'm not getting in with him. I don't even like him, and anyway, he's got no clothes on."

The vibrations were getting worse, time was running out, and this human was embarrassed about sharing a nutrient tank with a piece of unoccupied biotech. This was too much.

"Roger Charles Ketch, take my hand and get up here right now!"

The grimace continued, but he complied and allowed her to pull him up.

"Good," she said, manoeuvring him over to the open hatch. He peered down into it, his shoulders clenched as hard as his jaw. "I'm keeping my clothes on this time."

"Whatever," she replied and pushed him in. He landed with a loud splash and immediately surfaced, coughing harshly.

"Out of the way," she shouted and followed him in. The fluid was as cold and embracing as ever, even through her uniform she could feel it attacking her injuries, salving her aches.

"Will this really work?" Roger asked, pushing himself away from the sleeping Kanton.

"Who knows?" Josella replied and reached for the hatch. "Now just get your head down, and enjoy the ride."

"I..."

His reply was cut off as she closed the hatch. Completely submerged, the fluid entered her lungs and she shook violently. She had forgotten about the gagging reflex, as normally she would have vacated the biotech at this point and let it suffer without her. This time there was no such luxury. When it was finally over, she felt her muscles slowly relax, the anaesthetic qualities of the fluid taking over. Turning around she saw the Kanton spare, its eyes closed and its mouth twitching. Unoccupied by a mind its automatic responses were minimal, almost non-existent. But on some very basic level it was aware of the two intruders in its tank. Even empty it was alive.

Looking past it she saw Roger pressed against the side of the glass, blood oozing from a wound on the top of his head. Well, she had warned him. When he saw her, he mouthed a number of the more colourful expletives his language allowed. She held her hand to her ear and smiled back. At least he was relatively unhurt. Despite his all too human behaviour she had grown rather fond of him. His death would not have pleased her.

As the properties of the nutrient liquid began to lull her towards unconsciousness Josella reached out to him, clasping his fingers tightly in hers. He reacted, using that grip to pull himself towards her, nudging the naked Kanton away so that it spiralled over to the far side of the tank.

She smiled as he approached and gently traced the cut on his head with her fingers. It was shallow, superficial, but he winced all the same. She kissed it and then pulled back to gauge his reaction. He laughed, his anger all gone, and then he fixed his eyes upon her, asking permission. She smiled, and he leaned in for a kiss of his own. It was slow and gentle, and she enjoyed it. Somehow it was different to all the kisses they had enjoyed in the past, to the intimacy her fragmented memories barely allowed her to recall.