chapter twenty-five (pan)

Chapter twenty-five (Pan)

"Adelia!" I call, feeling the tension in my body slowly loosen as the spell wears off. I instantly try to walk but the spell has weakened me, leaving me horribly unbalanced. The lost boys are still knocked out cold by Regina's magic, so if there's any chance of getting her back, it's entirely up to me. The coast is a few miles north, and there's no doubt in my mind that they've taken her there. I unwillingly sit on a nearby rock, knowing I won't be able to run unless I can keep my balance. Ten minutes is all it takes, but each minute that passes only adds to the growing worry that I'll be too late to reach Adelia.

After this seemingly long period of time, I stand, perfectly balanced on both feet. With no time to spare, I rush through the foliage, ducking under branches on vines. Soon, but not soon enough, I've reached the coastline, where a large ship floats in the deep water. The boat slowly sails towards the island's windiest area, no doubt where the pegasus sail will be raised, and they'll fly back home.

I prepare to swim, rushing into the water, but am thrown back with a gigantic force.

Of course, a protection spell.

"Adelia!" I yell, hoping she hears me. Of course there's no way of really knowing if she did or not. "There must be a way." I mutter to myself, pacing back and forth. Encouraging myself to think in a forceful manner, I realize what I must do.

"Shadow, I summon thee."

While I wait for my shadow to arrive, I recall my first encounter with Adelia.

It was a pitch-black evening in a autumn month, one filled with chilly breaths of air that caused me to shiver. I was in New York city, waiting in an alleyway for a special girl. An alleyway seemed a rather odd place for a lovely girl to walk through, and by tracking her route to and from the diner she worked part-time, I had found that this alleyway was on her everyday path home. I waited for what seemed like hours, plotting and plotting my plans for her. Finally, I heard small breaths and the sound of her feet trudging the gravel. Instantly, I stepped out, coming face to face with the redhead herself.

"Well hello there, dearest." I smirked, not yet knowing her name.

"Pan." The shadow announces it's arrival, and floods back into my body. With no time left to lose, I use the last of the shadow's power to levitate off the ground, and off towards the ship.