Mare 3/?

I hold my head up high for Maven as he paints on fake wounds and blood onto my face, not that he really needs too because of the deep gashes and scratches from my nails.
Even though it should be a sad reminder, I fondly remember the maids painting my face during my time as a princess, a smile crosses my face at the thought.
He studies my face and adds blood and bruises where it is needed with the help of makeup. I flinch when he makes a sudden movement and he freezes before continuing.
I wonder to myself why he froze as he finishes up my face. Maybe it could be that he doesn't want to hurt me but I know he hasn't changed, and never will. A part of me hopes that he does, one day.
He taps me on the shoulder breaking me free from my thoughts as I look up.
"I've finished, you ready?" I see a stab of pain go through his expression and I send him a reassuring look as if to tell him that it will be okay.
"Yes, I am,"
I stand up on my tippy toes and give a quick peck on the lips before adding onto my previous statement, "Try to find a way to contact me, okay?"
Maven nods and pulls me by my arm back down to cell that held me for the majority of my time
He brings me back into the cell and all my hairs stand on end. "Are you gonna leave me here?"  I ask,  a soft tremor in my voice. The memories I had of this cell were more than horrible, I wouldn't even call them a nightmare.
"No," he points to a recently dug hole in the side of the cell,  that I assumed led to the outside but I still couldn't trust Maven even if he is trying to help me, a part of me is terrified of him.
I swallow down my fears and look up at him
"Is this where we part?" I rub at the collar on my neck hiss ever so slightly when I touch a raw wound, that's gonna be a scar for sure.
"Yes the tunnel is too small for me to fit," He looks over my frame before continuing "but you should fit just fine"
I look for and traces of a lie in his face, at this point I can tell when he is lying, but I will never be able trust him fully.
"Are you sure?" I ask, I do want him to be by my side, but then again I don't. He is a king, a cold tyrannical, possessive one at that. Not to mention that he has betrayed me more times than I can count and it brings up the question 'Can I trust him this time?'
"Yes I'm sure," Maven brings his hand up to my face and holds my cheek, I flinch and hold my tongue as he continues "You can trust me, I won't hurt you"  I know this isn't true,  but this sweet nothing makes me feel better.
He takes his hand away and starts talking again, something he does too much of "I have heard rumors of your friends camping our near here, presumably to help in your escape,"
I nod holding my jaw shut, I didn't want to tell him but I had known about this.
"Where exactly?"
He looks dumbfounded for a second before coming up with a reply "I'm not sure,  but I do know that you need to be careful. I doubt you want to get caught again"
"And be put through that hell again? No way"
Maven smirks and his eyes trail over me and his hand lands on the 'M'  brand. He pulls the neck of my top down far enough to see it, and to trace it with his finger.
"Let this be a friendly reminder"

AN: HOLY FUCK. Two updates in the same month?????  The stars must of aligned tbh.  Alsoooooo you might wanna go reread the first chapter if you haven't because I edited it a bit to make Maven and Mare a bit more in character (and to make it less cannon breaking)
Kings cage is out and I'm so happy!!
Totally gonna write more fics so just as a heads up you guys should totally follow me (shameless self advertising)
Anyways until next time!