The Gentleman Scientist

She didn't remember why she picked up the book, but she regretted it.

    It was an old tome, ancient and dusty and gilded with tentacles of rusted iron. The fearsome maw of Cthulu glared from it's cover. The book spoke of fear, of dark magic, things no mortal had any business knowing.

      (f/n) (l/n), chimerical young dreamer, had found it at a yard sale. The old man running it had practically shoved it in her hands, begging her to take the darkness from his life. As if she were bound by some trance, the girl had found herself unable to refuse, and the whole ride home had been spent with shadows dancing in the corners of her eyes and inaudible voices whispering in her ears.

   She was in her room when the words began to make sense, asking, no, pleading for the girl to open the book. (y/n) did.

   "Say, pal..."

   She heard a voice, thick and smooth like honey, that grabbed her attention dispite being so soft. She looked up to find a man in front of her, tall,  lanky and impeccably dressed. Dispite his voice, the man's eyes glittered coldly, like far away stars. She felt malicious intent radiate off him.

    "You seem pretty curious about those Old Ones, there." He observed, extending a hand. "I have some secret knowlage... if you think you're ready."

     The young woman blinked, her mind racing wildly. "How did you get in here? A-are you a demon? An old One? I d-don't want any trouble..."

     The other was suprized at her questioning, and threw back his head and barked a harsh laugh.  "Heh heh heh... it's been a while since I've been questioned like that... Why don't you just say yes, hmm? All these questions are becoming bothersome."

    "Okay..." (y/n) eyes had become glazed over, a dark magic clouding her mind. "Teach me what you know."

     The man nodded, smirking. "My name's Maxwell. See you soon, (y/n)."

    "But I didn't..."

     The rest was nothing but a blank memory.

    The girl awoke to thunder and a light rain, brushing across her face gently as she came to. Fear. Fear and disbelief shredded her brain.

    What happened? she thought, rubbing the dirt off her arms as she took in her blurry surroundings. Her heart picked up pace, as (y/n) observed the forest she was trapped in.

     Okay, okay, what's going on? The girl found a cloak had been wrapped around her shoulders, and her glasses had been neatly placed in front of her. She felt her phone in her pockets. "Where the hell am I?"

    "The real question is, where in hell am I?"

   The voice, Maxwell she recalled, was behind her, and
(y/n) whirled around to face the tall being. Her mouth fell open, as she took off her glasses to check if he was real.

    Unfortunately he was.

    "What the hell have you done? Who are you?" Her questions came rapidly, as (y/n) tried to stand and run. "T-they'll catch you! I'll never do what you want!"

     "Oh, my dear (y/n), but you already have... welcome to your new home. Don't starve."

     He dissapeared in a puff of red mist, ignoring the girl's frantic cries of; "wait!"

     "No..." (y/n)'s voice broke, as she looked about frantically. "No no no no... I don't... Oh god, I'm gonna die, I'm never gonna see my mom again!"

    Terror ripped through her, gripping her heart in painful waves of fear. This was unreal, unbelievable! Things like this didn't happen to people like her! (Y/n) was nothing but a wannabe psychologist, an idealistic daydreamer. No one would bat an eye at her disappearance but a tiny group of friends and family.