Mother's Day

This story is based off of the word Mother's Day. Warnings that apply: None.

She stood over the kitchen sink, lost in her own thoughts as her hands washed the dishes leftover from the night before mechanically.

It'd been a long night. It always was when you were a single mother struggling to support your children.

She sighed, shaking her head to repel the dark thoughts that were creeping up on her.

As she put the last dish on the drain, and grabbed the towel to dry her hands, she startled as a pair of hands grabbed at her skirt.

Looking down, she saw the familiar faces of her twins.

Her daughter pulled on her skirt again, prompting her to bend down to see what her angel wanted.

When she was close to their level, she was surprised to find two pairs of lips pressing against her cheeks. The twins pulled back, and her son pushed small teddy bear into her hands.

Her twins stepped back after her daughter passed her some chocolate kisses and a card.

"What are these for, my sweet angels?" She asked, thoroughly confused.

"Happy Mother's Day, Mommy!" Her daughter shouted, a large grin on her angelic face. Her son just nodded in agreement to his twin sister's excited statement.

She stood still for a few moments, before placing her new items on the counter.

She pulled her babies into a tight embrace.

Being a single mother was hard. However, these moments made it worth the struggle.