::Twenty::

so the next chapter in the mullette wedding and it will be a p long chapter so this is mostly jeffmads filler

James always knew when Thomas was at the door, mostly due to the unruly pounding. Thomas was never known to be a quiet guy, attacking James' door at 12 in the morning, most of the time he woke up the neighbors. 

That's why James was so surprised to see Thomas at the door, the knock was rather normal for it to be Thomas. 

"Since when does Thomas Jefferson knock at the door," James said, quickly sizing up to the presence of his ex-boyfriend. "Usually it's some godawful pounding."

"Heard you weren't feeling well," Thomas said, brushing past James into the apartment. James shook his head, Thomas had a habit of walking into places like he owned it. He didn't mind, though, he was the only one that knew about Thomas' ADHD besides his parents. 

It was often why Thomas was taken for being a "dickhead." When you have ADHD, you often miss social cues and tend to act in a way deemed inappropriate for the current situation. James knew, most of the time, Thomas didn't mean to act so rude. Most of the time, because., let's be real, Thomas was a jerk. (read author's note if you want my Thomas has ADHD explanation) But James knew there was a sweeter Thomas in there, he's met that Thomas before. Thomas didn't let down his guard very often, but when he cared for you, he could be a great person. 

"Yeah," James said, closing the door and following Thomas to the living room. "Had a bit of a migraine before, not too bad now. So why did you come over?"

"I dunno," Thomas said. "We're out of college now, didn't feel right not seeing you for three weeks."

James sat down next to Thomas, nudging Thomas' knee with his own. Thomas chuckled and looked up at James. 

"You know I didn't mean any of that, right?" Thomas blurted out. 

"What?" James asked. "Elaborate, Tommy."

"Ever since high school, I've slept around because I was confused. I wasn't supposed to have feelings for a boy, but I did. And, even after we started dating, my old habits didn't die. But I never loved any of my hookups, they didn't understand me. Not like you."

"Thomas..." James said, reaching up to rub his temple. His headache was starting to come back, and it didn't help that he felt so mixed up inside. How was he supposed to forgive Thomas, on one hand, he got a girl pregnant for fuck's sake. 

Yet on the other, James knew Thomas and he loved Thomas. It was so blind, so stupid, but he couldn't stop loving him. 

"You don't have to say yes, James. If you wanna be with Eliza, that's fine. I just..."

"No, Thomas, it's not that."

"Then what is it, Jemmy?" Thomas asked, turning to face the other man. He found Jame's hand and took it into his own. Their fingers laced perfectly into each other like they had so many times before. 

"It's just, what about Sally? She'll want you to raise the baby, won't she? And I'm guessing you're gonna end up dating her, for the kid and--"

"It's a girl," Thomas said, his eyes widening. "Her name's gonna be Mary but I'm gonna call her Polly, always wanted a girl named Polly. James, I'm gonna adopt her. Take her away from Sally so she can stay in school. And I did come over here for a reason..."

Jame's heart was nearly ripping out of his chest at this point, he was shaking. Was Thomas really gonna do this?

"Do you wanna adopt Polly with me, start a new life? Once I clench that job in Town Hall, I think we can really make a life, James. Please? I wanna be with you. Forever."

James' eyes softened. He reached a hand and put it against Thomas' cheek. "I would love to be a father with you." 

so in my story Thomas as ADHD...yaaaay??

I don't think actual thomas jefferson had ADHD, but the way Thomas acts in the play sort of gave me room to make a headcanon of my own. people who have ADHD tend to misunderstand situations so often what they say comes out as rude or brash. 

so, um, i decided to humanize jefferson a little bit more because in the plan i have for the story, i can't exactly make him have an asshole facade the whole time, plus i incoperated one of my favorite Thomas headcanons. I hope you don't mind. 

Also, sorry this chapter was so short, i'm still planning what's gonna happen in the wedding and need awhile to write it so here's some content for you thirsty people

love you :) and hope you enjoyed