Chapter 2: The Perfect Storm

"Can you believe it, Jay? A chance to show the world what a small-town nobody can do!" Ben exclaims, grasping the letter from the United States Government. "I can't believe it! Unreal!" he shouts. Jason, however, is less than enthused about the occasion. "Yeah... It's great, really." he mumbles. Ben calls Roseanne, cheerily telling her the good news. "No way, you too?! That's great!" she trills. The trio is to be transported to a secret location to begin their "training" and their "transformation" into 'Defenders of Peace'.

A few days later, the 'day of reckoning', Roseanne, Ben, and Jason are approached courteously by men clad in black suits. "Ms. Reed, Messrs. Lightmann? Don't be alarmed, we're representatives of the United States government, I'm sure you've been expecting us."  The three nod in agreement, (mostly) barely able to contain their excitement. "If you please, come with us. Your parents and school have been notified, don't worry." the agent assures them. They are escorted to a nondescript grey van, and at that moment, Jason realizes this couldn't be so bad after all. New chances! Escape! A New Life!

After a long flight, with mediocre service, the three are transported to a large, rather foreboding structure. His mind racing, Ben all but runs to the entrance. Jason, however is somewhat reluctant. They enter the building, and are suddenly accosted by white-robed scientists. The three are caught off guard by the suddenness of it all, the doctors poking, prodding, and measuring. But the kids understand. This is all part of the process. 

Unexpectedly, they are separated. Separate rooms for different people, everyone is different... Then, and only then, Ben has a tremor of doubt. "You ARE going to help, right? This isn't some.. . some plot?" he asks with trepidation. "Yes, of course! This is for your benefit, and the good of all mankind!" A doctor proclaims quickly. 

"This is it," Ben thinks "I'm going to be a hero!"