Chapter 4

After about five minutes of explaining the washer and dryer, they were done starting the laundry. So Jasmine showed her mom how to work the stove, the sink, the shower, and the toilet. By the time they were done it was late so Jasmine excused herself and went to bed. Jasmine woke up and went to the kitchen to make breakfast for everyone. However, when she got there her mom was already up and making food.

Her mom glanced over her shoulder and said,

"You can go back to bed and I'll come get you when it's done."

Jasmine nodded and went to lay back down, carefully as to not wake up Eclipse. She couldn't go back to sleep, so she thought about what they could do today.

"We could work on developing the gate more. Or I could hone my hunting skills, or my fighting techniques. Oh! I know, two of us could go out and look for survivors, while the other stays here and works on making guest rooms," she thought.

Just then her mom knocked on her door and said that food was ready. Jasmine got out of bed and woke up Eclipse. She gathered the other dogs and fed them, making sure they had water in the process. When she came back to the kitchen, everyone was already in there eating and talking. She made herself a plate and sat down, waiting for an opportunity to speak. When they all fell silent she told them about her plan to go look for survivors. Cole quickly volunteered to help find them, and Nathan said he would stay and build rooms. Their dad said he was going to get more meat and Cole reminded him to only take as much as they needed. Their mom said she wanted to make a garden so Jasmine got down some seeds from the cabinet and gave them to her. Nathan showed their mom an open spot inside the fence where she could make one. After all that was established Jasmine and Cole told their parents they'd be gone a few days and then, with Titan and Eclipse, headed in the direction of the gate. They had to stop before they got to the gate because it was getting dark, so they found an underground bunker the dogs could get into with them. In the morning they had a quick breakfast of beef jerky and then headed out again. By the time they got to the gate it was already mid-morning. When they opened the gate there was a zombie walking around near the fence. Jasmine and Cole both reached for their bats. Jasmine, however, got to her's first and smashed the zombie into the fence. They let the dogs eat the zombies body but not its head.

During the years that they had studied zombies, they learned that the only reason people turned into zombie when they bite them, was because the zombies head had toxin in it and when they bite you they release that toxin through their teeth. It basically destroys the brain, so they never let the dogs eat the zombies head.

They closed the gate and walked towards the town.