Chapter 22

22.

Jared watched the tall, handsome man wrap his arm around the equally beautiful woman. They compliment each other, he decided, as he watched the unknown Alpha whisper to his mate. A stab of loneliness hit him, and he sent a mental search, trying to find out if Angel was still awake and well. When he felt her acknowledgement, he heaved a sigh and turned back to listen to Derrick as he spoke to his ally.

"I'm glad you're willing to help me, Dec. I only just found Angel," Derrick was saying, "I can't lose her. I was afraid Rebecca had been completely lost to me so many years ago, and now we find out that she might really be alive, and we might be able to save her."

"Of course, Derrick! We're more than happy to help you," the woman told his mate's father. "I can only imagine what it'd be like if we lost Beth. I'd probably cast so hard, I'd probably transport right to her."

Jared jerked his head and stared at the woman.

"Cast?"

Derrick took a deep breath before turning to look at him.

"Jared, let me introduce you to my friends. This is Alpha Declan McConnell and his mate, Alyssa. Alyssa is... well, Alyssa is special. You remember a few years ago that the wolves and witches united? Well, Alyssa and Declan are the ones that united us. Alyssa is a witch, and Dec is a wolf. Their daughter, Beth, is already showing signs of being both."

"Oh," Jared blinked in surprise. "I've heard of y'all, but I didn't realize you were an Alpha couple."

"Yeah," Alyssa said with a grin. "Not many wolves want to admit just how much of a power couple we are. Angel is your mate?"

"How could you tell?" Jared asked in surprise. When they had arrived at Declan and Alyssa's pack house, Derrick had only asked for help in rescuing his mate and daughter. He hadn't mentioned that Angel was mated, or that Jared was her mate.

Alyssa laughed good naturedly, and Declan smiled as he wrapped an arm around his mate.

"No way nefarious, Jared," Declan said as he tapped the side of his nose. "We can smell the same woman on you that we smell on Derrick. Only her scent is strongest on you."

Jared tensed as the door to Declan's office opened and a tall blond man strode in.

"Transport is ready, Dec," the man said a frown marring his brow. "Marie promised to watch Beth for you, but you're the one who will need to talk to Verona. She's not liking you threatening to side line her for this mission, man."

"Well, what does she expect?!" Declan exclaimed. "She's not going to be able to fight in her condition. Hell, her mate would try to kill me if I let her even go. I know your sister wants to be the hero, Connor, but she is not going to risk the life of her pup to do it!"

"Gods, its still so weird to hear you lot call babies 'pups'," Jared heard Alyssa mumble under her breath.

"Declan McConnell!"

Jared turned his head in time to watch as a short woman burst through the door, her pixie cut hair swirling around her head in an unmanageable whirl. He could tell that she hardly ever sat still. He felt his eyes bulge as he took in her protruding belly. The woman was close to giving birth, and she wanted to fight the man who held his mate captive!

"Just what the hell do you mean, I have to stay home?" she yelled at the alpha, ignoring her brother as he ran behind the desk.

"Verona," Declan said in a placating tone. "It's too dangerous. I know you want to be there, but think of your pup. Robert Jo-"

"This bad guy's name is Robert?" Alyssa asked her mate before shaking her head. "Man, why doesn't anyone believe me when I say, 'Never trust someone named Robert!'?"