Hello To You Too

"I can see you made it out with ease...and in one piece," I scoffed at Fury's cheerfulness.

"Yeah sure, with ease and one piece." I responded very sarcastically.

I knew this was not the proper way to speak to your boss, but I just came back from a very, and I stress VERY, deadly mission, and I was not in a gaming mood.

"Director I just got back from one of my deadliest missions yet. I am not ready for another one already." I quickly said before he could start informing me of a mission.

"Ahhh but that's not your choice to make now is it" he said more stating rather than asking. "No sir" was all I managed to say knowing there was no arguing with him.

As he was pulling out the mission files, I started laughing. " If I didn't know any better Fury, I'd say you were trying to kill me by giving me all these missions" I said jokingly.

"No, of course not. Now why would I do that" he said rather too sarcastically, making my smile turn into a glare.

As he was gathering the papers, I heard him mumble under his breath, "If looks could kill Agent Jones. If. looks. could. kill."

Hearing that, I was forced to hold back a laugh, to avoid getting on Fury's bad side, if I hadn't already succeeding in doing that.

After about ten minutes of just waiting on Fury, he finally spoke up. "Now before you begin your mindless yapping-" but before he could continue I cut him off. "Me!? Mindless yapping!?!? That hurts!" I said faking sounding hurt. "You'll get over it" Fury said in a monotone voice. Ahhh good ole Fury, gotta love him...not!!! My thoughts were interrupted by Fury continuing on with his speech or whatever it was that he was going to say.

"Now you are aware last year, New York was attacked." I nodded responding to him.

"Well I won't go into detail, but the Avengers Initiative that was originally not approved, was immediately put into effect."

"Sir, why is this relevant to my soon to be current mission if I accept?" I asked clearly not beating around the bush.

"Because Agent Jones," Fury began sounding annoyed " you are a level 7 agent who knows about the incident with agent Coulson. Now as I was saying, during the attack of New York, the Helicarrier was attacked. Unfortunately, Coulson was stabbed and pronounced dead. However, we were able to revive agent Coulson without any of them knowing. He believed they needed a "push" to work as a team, and if him dying was the push, then he thought so be it. After they defeated the invaders, they each left to take a well deserved vacation. After a few months, they came back, each having their own reason but..." he said trailing off.

"But..." I said mimicking him.

" They blamed themselves for Coulson's death, some more than others, but nonetheless it affected each one of them. I personally chose you for this mission because of your perfect record to always get the job done, and because of your many science degrees" I was still a bit confused, but let him continue. "Specifically because you are one of the few gamma radiation specialists there are. This, Agent Jones, is relevant because if you accept this mission, you would be working hands on with one of the Avengers, meaning you would more than likely end up interacting with the rest, Now if you accept, you would have a direct order not to mention a single word about Phil Coulson surviving. I will be the one to do that when the time comes. Now I can't discuss anymore, unless you decide to accept."

I had a bad feeling, but curiosity got the best of me. "Sir, unofficially speaking, if I accept, where will I be relocated to?"

Fury smirked knowing I was dying to know this answer. "This mission will take place here on the Helicarrier in one of the labs, you are now excused for lunch. I expect you to report here right after with an answer Agent."

"Yes sir," I said as I walked out.

All these thoughts were running though my head. Did I want to accept this? What's the worse that could happen? I mean, I get to stay aboard the Helicarrier, which meant I basically got to stay at home. The halls were quiet, but as I got closer to the cafeteria, the chatter of the agents got louder. When I got there, I grabbed a menu and got in line. I couldn't decide what to get, but after reading through the menu a few times, I decided on a crispy chicken sandwich with French fries, a Caesar salad, and a water. Once I grabbed my tray with my food, I turned to see if my usual booth by the window was empty and thankfully if was. I was friends with almost everyone on base, but usually during meal times, I chose to sit alone, but if an agent came by asking to sit, they were always more than welcome to.

As I bit into my chicken sandwich I couldn't help but moan a little. I had been gone so long on my mission that it felt like forever since I had actual food, and the cafeteria food at S.H.I.E.L.D is amazing! Going on missions meant sometimes going days without eating. When you did get to eat, it was nothing more than tasteless, packaged ready-to-eat meals, but when you're practically starving, it doesn't matter, you will eat it.

Taking that last bite of salad, I checked the time on my phone. I still had fifteen minutes. As I sat there, I pondered and went through every scenario I could think of as to decline this mission.

With two minutes left, I got up and made my way back to the briefing room.

As I entered, I thought I would be the first one there, but I was startled to see Fury was already there.

"Agent, I hope you had a good lunch, I suspect you have an answer for me?"

"I did sir and yes sir I do," I said in my most professional sounding voice.

"And?"

Sarcastically, I replied, " Well sir, taking every possibility into consideration, and doing all the thinking I could in an hour..."

"Ms. Jones, I know how sarcastic you can be. You're lucky I like you enough to put up with it." Rolling my eyes I thought oh joy! "But I need your answer."

Deciding I had annoyed Fury enough, I answered.

"Sir... I accept."