Just Call Me Bruce

Making my way down the maze-like science department halls, I was certain I would be late, but without a minute to spare I arrived at lab #17. As I reached down to grab the doorknob, I stopped in my tracks. It seemed as if all my common sense just went out the door. I wasn't sure of whether to knock, or just enter. Technically, I didn't have to knock since I was now working here, but then if I just enter, what if that angered Dr. Banner, and that is the last thing I needed, for him to hulk out on my first day of being in the lab. I began to mentally debate with myself on what to do, forgetting that I was blocking the entrance of the door. As I was trying to decide which approach to take, I was startled by a voice behind me.

" Hey sweetheart, as much I love standing in front of doors too, I need to get through," the mysterious voice said dripping with sarcasm.

As I turned around to face the man, I noticed he had dark brown hair combed slightly back, with almost black eyes and and a goatee.

"Right...sorry," I said while moving away from the door. I expected the man to enter the lab without another word, but instead he turned to face me with an almost curious look.

After a few seconds of just standing there facing this man, he broke the silence.

"Hi, I'm Tony Stark. I'm pretty sure you know me, I'm Iron Man." As he spoke, he had an over-confident smile, then he extended his hand for a handshake.

I returned the gesture, and shook his hand. "Hi, I'm Agent Jones."

"Well Agent Jones, uhhh what's a pretty lady doing outside the big guy's lab?"

"The big guy? Ummm I'm supposed to report to lab #17 to assist a Dr. Banner," I said rather confused.

With a smug smile he said, "well you found him," then proceeded to link our arms, and drag me into the lab. Well so much for knocking.

"Hey big guy, there's a pretty Ms. Jones looking for you. I was going to discuss some things with you, but I can see you're busy. Well I'll leave you two to it." Then he walked out leaving me speechless. As I turned to look back at the man behind the lab table, I suddenly was even more at a loss for words. This was Dr. Banner in the flesh. Wow, he was even more handsome in real life. He had these soft, chocolate brown eyes that a person could get lost in, and his hair. Oh god his hair, it was slightly tousled, but he managed to make it look good. I could tell it used to be dark brown, but with stress and age, it was peppering. It looked so soft, I just wanted to run my fingers through it right then and there. Suddenly, coming to my senses, I realized we were both just standing, awkwardly staring at each other.

I mentally slapped myself. I'm an agent who's on a mission and I had to start acting like it, so I walked up to him to properly introduce myself.

" Hello Dr. Banner, I am Agent Jones. I suspect Director Fury has briefed you on why I am here?"

I could tell he was very nervous, by the way he fiddled with his hands. "Uhh yes, I was informed I'd be getting a lab partner but, umm well..."

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. What exactly was he getting at?

He sighed then continued. "Agent Jones, I mean this with the most respect, I really do, but you seem a little young to have the experience and qualifications needed to assist me with my work."

At this point I should have been offended, but the people I used to work for educated me at a young age, including college. Not only was I smarter than the average human, but I have a photographic memory, which helped a lot. So I was basically used to the scientists on base thinking I didn't have the proper education.

"Dr. Banner, I may only be twenty, but I'll have you know, I am the most experienced and qualified person aboard this ship, other than you, to assist with this" I said pointing to his work layed out on the table, then I continued. " I have quite a few different university degrees, several of those being of science, and I also specialize in gamma radiation."