Chapter 15

When they arrived at the trailer, Theresa was already there, working, and she had made a mess of Sydney's desk. Her carefully organized space was in chaos, and it seemed to be deliberate. Sydney was already upset, and on edge when she and Cole had arrived and when she saw the mess it had been the final straw.

Cole must have sensed it because he asked Theresa to join him outside, saying that he had a question about something on the site. After they had left Sydney looked at the disarray and started crying. Not silent tears but great gulping sobs, and there was no one there to comfort her because Cole had taken the dogs. She gave in to the tears and the self-pity for a few moments then picked herself up and wiped away her tears. She felt a little better for it, but the only thing that would ultimately ease the ache in her heart would be Cole's love.

She realized that she still needed him to dislike her. He had been kind to her, almost friendly, that morning and it had made her weak, so she had caved. Then he had walked away as if it was the easiest thing in the world, which had left her in her current messy state. If he chose to do it again, it would crush her.

Sydney rooted around in her backpack for her phone. She had to call Paige and make sure that she kept her mouth shut.

"Hello," Paige greeted happily.

"Paige, it's Sydney." Her voice was softly urgent.

"What's wrong, are you hurt, did you have a nightmare?" Paige must have heard the distress in her voice.

"No," Sydney cleared her throat, "You have to help me."

"Sure, whatever you need Syd," Paige said without pause.

"Whatever you do don't talk to Dr. Easton, don't tell him why I'm here, O.K.?"

"I already said I wouldn't." Paige sounded bored, and it made Sydney mad.

"I mean it, Paige! If you have to tell him something, make up a lie, but don't let him know the real reason I'm here," she hissed.

There was a heavy silence on the other end and some rustling then a door closing. "Why Syd? Why does it matter so much?"

Sydney started crying again, "I love him, and since he doesn't want me I need him to hate me."

"Oh, Syd," Paige started crying too.

"Please." Sydney turned her back to the trailer door and wiped her tears as heard Theresa's voice outside, letting her know that she and Cole had returned.

"You're working today, aren't you? I'll be there in an hour. Can you hang on for that long?" Paige's voice sounded gentle.

"Yes," she whispered before hanging up the phone and darting into the bathroom.

Sydney looked at herself in the mirror, she looked horrible. Her eyes and lips were puffy and her nose was red. She hated crying. She heard Cole and Theresa enter the trailer and she flushed the toilet for good measure before turning on the water and splashing cold water on her face. She took deep breaths until they came out sounding normal and not asthmatic. Then she let down her hair so it could shield her face.

She couldn't stay in the bathroom forever, and as soon as she opened the door the dogs were there waiting. They gave her a reason to bend down and pet them before she had to face Cole and Theresa, but Cole wasn't with Theresa she discovered as she turned and walked right into his chest.

He didn't move, and she didn't dare look up, but she had no choice when his hand lifted her chin, forcing her to look at him. "Are you feeling alright?" He sounded angry again.

"Just fine." She forced a smile and jerked her chin from his grasp so that she could move past him and back to her desk.

It was the first time she was thankful for Theresa's presence. He couldn't do anything to stop her or call her out about crying with Theresa there.