Chapter 17

"Is this your house!" Theresa all but squealed as the truck pulled up in front of the adobe building. "It's wonderful!"

Sydney was still dressed in her sundress from earlier, and Cole was in blue jeans and a t-shirt, but Theresa had put in a little more effort. She was dressed in a lovely flowing dress with high heels and an abundance of perfume. Sydney couldn't help but wonder if they had driven the entire way with the air conditioner on high because Cole was hot, or if he was trying to move the air around all of Theresa's perfume.

Sydney rolled her eyes at Theresa's comment as she opened the back door of the truck. Flora was so impatient that she jumped over her to get out of the truck. Timmy was a little more hesitant, at not only the jump, but the new location. Sydney felt him tremble a little, and she gave him a little kiss before she placed him on the ground at her feet.

Timmy stayed glued to her side as Cole led the way into the courtyard and then into the entrance hall with Theresa exclaiming about this and that the entire way. Instead of going out onto the patio this time, Cole turned left and led them down the hall and into a massive living room. There was a large fireplace that was big enough for a person to stand in and the adobe tiled floors continued, but here warm-hued rugs covered them. The furniture was mostly leather and wood with accent pillows scattered around. There was nothing personal in the room, and it was apparent that it was a room for entertaining and as such was very impressive.

As they entered the room Sydney noted Cole's parents, Aunt Viola, and Bridget. The only one without a drink was Cole's mother. She was sitting alone on a leather sofa, silently watching Howard and Bridget carry on a conversation while Flora settled at her feet.

She was dressed in a pair of nice slacks and a blouse while Bridget was decked out in a tight fitting red silk sheath dress. Sydney hid her smile of amusement as she looked at Aunt Viola who was wearing another velour tracksuit, this time in a dark purple. Aunt Viola's look of boredom passed as she noted the newcomers. Sydney couldn't miss her look of mischief as she looked at Theresa. She could almost hear the thought, fresh blood.

"Here they are, we were getting worried," Howard said as he greeted them, a sound of relief in his voice. "Come in, what can I get you to drink?" he asked, moving towards the drinks cart.

Sydney declined and watched as Timmy sniffed the air around him, trying to get a feel for the room.

"Who's that?" Viola asked as she squinted to see the dog better while lifting her cheek for a kiss from Cole.

"This is Timmy," Sydney supplied as Aunt Viola waved her over and lifted her cheek. Sydney took the hint and kissed the soft skin as Cole had done. So much for Theresa not knowing she had been to Cole's house before. She darted a quick look at Theresa, who looked confused as she was handed a drink.

Sydney joined Cole's mother, Maddie, on the sofa with a smile, but she barely returned the smile, and Sydney could sense the tension radiating off of her as she sat perfectly still.

"Where did you find him?" Aunt Viola looked over at Theresa as she sipped her drink, "And who's that one?"

"We found him at the bottom of a well," Sydney explained, and there was an odd silence before it was broken by Aunt Viola's shout of laughter as she got the joke.

"Did you really?" Maddie asked, bending down to greet the little dog that had moved to the sofa with Sydney.

"A little bit of Miss. Mitchell's dry wit, mother," Cole said, placing a kiss on his mother's cheek, the one next to Sydney, forcing him into his personal space. She took a deep breath, he smelled so good.

Maddie took the chance, while Cole was blocking her with his body, to squeeze Sydney's hand. Sydney wasn't sure if it was in appreciation of her joke or an offer of support because she had heard Sydney's intake of air. If Maddie had heard it, then Cole had heard it. Her eyes met his, but she couldn't tell what he thought as he pulled away.