Lord of the Pies

Lorelai awoke to the smell of something sweet. An aroma of blueberries, apples and sugar filled the air. "Mmmmm" She ventured downstairs to see Luke cooking. "Ohh, I didn't know I was married to Wolfgang Puck."

"You're not," Luke didn't take his eyes away from his baking. "Taylor's hosting a pie eating contest and put me in charge of making them all." Luke groaned.

"Ohh, let me help!" Lorelai grabbed some dough, but it slipped out of her hands.

"Lorelai!" Luke grabbed the falling ingredients. "Be careful."

"Oh, come on I'm trying to help." Lorelai sighed and sat down.

"You're not helping, Lorelai. You're getting in the way." Luke said very harshly.

"Jeez, Luke. What turned you into John Malkovich today?"

"Lorelai, would you just stop?" Luke slammed the crust down and muffled something inaudible.

Lorelai looked at him, totally outspoken. "Luke..." She walked up behind him and rubbed his arm. "What's wrong, babe?"

"Lorelai!" Luke jerked her off and turned around.

Lorelai felt herself about to burst into tears. She felt like a toddler who just got yelled at by her teacher. She walked off to the stairs and up to their room.

Luke sighed and followed her. "Lorelai..." Luke walked into the room, where Lorelai had tears already streaming down her face. "I'm so sorry." He offered a hug which Lorelai willingly took up.

"My emotions, Luke," Her lip quivered as she said this. "They're going crazy. I'm worried about my little girl."

"And I'm worried too," Luke noticed the concerned look on her face and knew that something was going on deeper than this breakdown. Something was bothering Luke as well. "Tell me what's wrong, honey."

Lorelai sniffled and began telling Luke what happened.

12 hours ago

"Jess!" Rory laughed and looked closer into the screen. "You did not do that!"

"Yes, Rory. I did. She was pushing things too far and I told her she better stop the dog catcher was coming."

"You're so savage, even Joan Rivers would be shaken."

"Well, she deserved it." Jess sat back.

Rory noticed that behind Jess was what looked like a car. "Where are you, Jess?"

"Um..." Jess began to act condescending. "Hold on." Jess paused the Skype call and Rory began worrying.

The doorbell rang and Rory walked towards it. She opened the door to see Jess standing there with a bouquet of flowers and a gift wrapped in blue sash color paper. "Oh my goodness-" Rory jumped into Jess's arms as he set down the gifts. "Jess." She said through muffled sobs of happiness and relief.

"I missed you." Jess motioned inside and began putting the flowers into a vase for her.

"Jess." Was all Rory could say. She felt like it had been ten years since she's seen him.

"Aww, Rory," Jess grabbed her up again. "You're so beautiful, do you know that?" She just nuzzled her head in his chest. When there was a slight cry from then other room, Jess went to see Haeven. "Oh, sweetie." He admired the baby as she smiled when he walked in.

"She'll be a year in a month, can you believe?"

"Sweet, Haeven." He picked her up and she giggled. "I missed you, too."

**************

By nine o'clock, Rory was wrapped up in Jess's arms on the couch. Tootsie was playing.

"I love Dustin Hoffman. What a film, ya know? "Dorthy" really sought out women's stance in the workforce. What a powerful film." Rory stated. It was her all-time favorite movie that she had seen probably 30 times.

Jess noticed that Rory was starting to yawn. "Babe, if you need to sleep, feel free." He tussled with her hair. 

"But, you're home." Rory urged. "I'm staying up."

"Okay, hun. Don't wear yourself out." Jess laughed at her stubbornness.

They watched about 10 more minutes before Jess heard a soft cooing sound. He looked to Rory who was fast asleep. He planted a small kiss on her head and wrapped the blanket over the both of them. Later, Jess got hungry so he went to get up but Rory protested even in her sleep. She wrapped her arms around Jess tighter and didn't let go. In many failed attention to move, Jess finally picked her up and laid her on the bed. She was content and Jess went back to the other room to finish the movie. Lately, he had been struggling with insomnia due to high amounts of stress. Things had been going on at work and all he wanted was to spend this weekend with his beautiful wife.

"Jess?" A faint voice was heard from the hallway. Rory walked into the living room, her hair pressed behind her ears.

"Babe?" Jess patted the seat next to him and Rory curled back up. "Jess, I'm worried."

"Why?"

"This..." Rory grabbed the phone she was holding and showed Jess the screen:

Hey, baby. How's Connecticut?

Jess was shocked. Truly shocked. The message was from Rebecca....

Rory was visibly shaken, she tried with every member of her being not to cry. "Jess, what do you need to tell me?"

Jess was as confused as Rory. He had told Rebecca to leave him alone. He had told her to back off and stay away from his personal life. She knew he was going to she his wife and maybe her jealousy was taking over. Maybe she wanted to get back at him for leaving her out. "Rory, honestly. I don't know. I told her to stay away from my life. We are coworkers and we have to interact on some levels, but I thought she understood her limits."

Rory held the blanket close as she began biting her lip. "I'm going to sleep." She choked out that sentence and headed off to their room.

That left Jess alone with his thoughts and anger. He contemplated calling Rebecca, not wanting to lead her on, but needed to settle things. He decided to call her.

"Hey, Jess." The voice of a drunk, seductive woman was on the other line.

"Rebecca, you've got to stop. You know I'm married."

"And?" She just would not quit.

Rory came barging in, anger filling her. She grabbed the phone from Jess. "Listen, Rebecca. This is Rory. Jess's wife. Jess is married, so you're gonna leave him alone."

"What are you gonna do if I don't?" Rebecca laughed.

"You're pathetic. Did you know that? You can't leave a married man alone. Are there not enough single men that want you?" Rory retorted. "You will leave Jess alone, and I swear to you, so help me, if you don't I'm going to have to deal with you. And trust me, bitch. You do not want that." Rory hung up and handed Jess the phone.

Jess was smiling. "Damn. You're hot when you're mad."

"Jess," Rory sighed. "That should take care of things. If she doesn't stop, please tell me."

"Oh, I definitely will," Jess hugged her close. "I love you, baby."

"I love you too."