Just Breathe

Rory felt her heart skip a beat. "What...why...Logan?"

"Oh, Rory. I don't know! Haeven was playing on the swings and then she just fell over. I immediately picked her up and tried to get her to wake up but she was unconscious. I called 911 and rushed her to the nearest hospital. Oh my gosh, Rory I'm so sorry I don't know what to do. They're running tests."

Rory was too shocked to let out any more tears so she just sped over to the hospital and called Jess to meet her.

When she got there, she found Logan pacing outside the ER. "Rory! I am so sorry." He said again. "I know you and Jess probably don't trust me 100% after everything we've been through but I really do care about that little girl in there."

Rory squeezed her eyes shut and choked back a sob; Logan put his arms around her. She regained a little composure and readjusted her posture.

Rory looked through the window to see her small child hooked up to wires and her tiny eyes were closed. Her heart wad beating faster than it ever had before and when she turned around she saw Jess there with the babies. She stared at him, eyes filling up with moisture and just felt herself breaking. After what felt like hours, Rory couldn't breathe. He throat was closed. Everything in her body hurt, and she found herself falling to the ground. But Jess was there to catch her, no matter what he had said in the past or what words possessed his mouth he would never leave her to break down alone. He just stood there, letting her get out all of the emotions and he was strong for her.

"I'm sorry, Jess." She said once her emotions were a little more in tact. "This wouldn't have happened if I was smarter."

"Shh, Rory. It's not your fault. I was so wrong, I shouldn't have been so mean."

"Excuse me?" A doctor with light pink scrubs came into view. "Can the parents of Haeven Mariano follow me?"

"I'll watch the babies if you want." Logan offered.

"Thank you." Jess said.

"Just take a seat there." The doctor pointed to two grey, hospital chairs that sat dimly in front of them. "We have some good news, but we also have some not-so-good news."

Jess grabbed Rory's hand as he saw her about to begin crying again. That was one of the many things Jess was really great at: being brave for her and making sure she was secure.

"The good news is that there's nothing potentially life threatening going on, you're daughter's going to be okay. But for a couple of months she might experience fainting spells. We think it could be Vasovagal Syncope."

Rory clenched Jess's hand tighter. "Is she going to be okay? Can't you tell me more?"

"We don't really know what it could be other than VS. We're hoping it's not a heart problem, as of right now we highly doubt that it's that."

"You're supposed to be a doctor," Rory exclaimed, her temper rising as her mind raced with unanswered questions. "Why can't you tell me anything more? Why?"

"Mrs. Mariano, please..."

"Please my ass, I want to know what the hell is wrong with my daughter!" Rory stood up. "I'm gonna go see her."

"Mrs., we suggest you just let her rest." The doctor protested.

"I'm going to do what I want, it's my child. And I sure as hell know her more than you do."

*****

"Oh, sweetie." Rory grabbed the hand of her daughter who was sleeping soundly.

Jess continued to rub in circular motions on her upper back.