•22 - Curiosity Killed the Cat•

Kate 

 "Bring her to us," Georgia's dad demands.

"Look, I don't like her all that much, but do you really think this is all that necessary?" I ask. I mean, couldn't we throw water balloons at her or something?

" Yeah, baby, I think you're pushing the limits a little," says Bella. It's one of the few things we agree on.

"Just bring her to us; no one is going to miss her," says Mr. Collins.

"Fine... we'll do it."

Um, I think not. I can't get arrested for this if we get caught.

"Now, hold on a sec—" I try to argue. I'm interrupted.

"We're doing it. I'm sick and tired of her," Bella retorts.

"And I need the money," Mr. Collins agrees.

"Why do you need the money so bad?" I ask. He's already rich. And who on earth can afford to give him money for the mortgage on his extremely large mansion?

"Because his family is bankrupt."

"Shut up," he tells Bella. But she insists on pushing it.

"Am I not telling the truth?"

"I'll kill you myself. Shut up."

"Fine."

"We need her here before the sun rises, are we clear?" Georgia's dad speaks up finally.

"Crystal," Bella says. What I'd give to staple her lips together...

*~*~*~*

  Georgia's dad fled the state the day after Bella and I killed Georgia. I knew this because Bella called me that same morning, reading me the note he left her. She was heartbroken. The day she bailed him out of jail, Georgia's dad promised Bella he'd never leave her.  And  Adam's father never did get paid, which means I didn't get paid either. Mr. Collins wanted me to get rid of Georgia in any way I could. He promised me a thousand dollars. I wouldn't have accepted the money even if he did have it; he really was bankrupt.

  We made her death seem like a suicide. Bella had this great idea: put Georgia in her favorite tree with a rope around her neck without her knowing she's about to die. I had pulled the blindfold off her eyes and burned it after watching her struggle to breathe. I puked. And I wanted to hurl when I shimmied down the tight rope to get to the blindfold. I asked Bella why she agreed to do such a horrible thing. She replied, "Same as you. I hate that everyone leaves me for her."

  Well, not everyone left me. Adam was the only one. I know I told him to make up his mind about who he liked the most, but I didn't think he'd do it so quickly. I hated that he didn't choose me. I hated that he loved her so much. I hated when he climbed down the tree in an inhuman speed that one day to dry her tears. He had never shown me that kind of affection. What made her so special? Was it her blonde hair? Her perfect body? What did she have that I didn't? And how many people fell for it? Fell for her?

  It doesn't matter anymore. She's gone. And I thought that maybe I'd feel some sort of relief when Adam came to me to cry on my shoulder. But I felt so guilty. I reminded myself that this is what I wanted, for him to choose me. But in the back of my mind... whenever he cries her name... all I see is her throwing herself off that branch in her tree.

  I killed her, I confessed in my head. At the crime scene — or suicide scene, either way the police was there — I watched Georgia's mother fall apart. I saw the cashier guy from the local cafe break down too. One of the teachers from her school, Ms. Cobb I think was her name, was devastated. I did this, I thought. I made all of you like this. Adam didn't even function like a human being anymore. If he wasn't crying or blaming himself, he was staring at a wall. I did this

  One thing Adam was able to do was climb her tree and leave The Outsiders on the branch they used to share when they came here. Georgia was at it again, taking Adam away from me, and she's dead. 

  Poor, lucky, dead girl.