Chapter 4

"Oh my god, why do I have to do this again?" Brin was really starting to get on my nerves as she exclaimed for the millionth time, she was too predictable and I knew almost instantly what her next sentence was going to be. For the better part of the morning I had been biting my tongue, trying to keep from yelling at her or telling her to shut up but with it being close to lunch and given that I was hungry...yeah.

"Why don't you just shut the f*ck up and do some work, all you've done is walk around and complain. You haven't actually done anything and you have to do it to contribute towards the house. We all have our chores to do, your mum ain't going to save you and I sure as h*ll ain't going to do your work for you." The worst thing was that Brin and I were on washing duty today, that meant the washing machine would be run through for much of the day to get everyones clothes and bedding washed before dinner tonight.

There was a moments silence as I shook out one of the large sheets, it was hot. I'd give Brin that but at least I was trying to get our work done before days end instead of complaining about it. We had a dam on the property that still had a good amount of water in it, I think we'd all be heading down there later in the day to swim away the heat and our worries.

"What's your problem? It's really hot here and it's gross!" By the way her voice quivered a bit I could tell Brin was having a hard time with even just doing the washing. But I wasn't caving, there was no way I was letting her get out of doing her chores just because she didn't like doing them.

Absolutely no way.

"My problem is you! You've only been doing chores a few days and every day you've complained that it's either too hot, too heavy or the dust is annoying you. You've been started on the easy stuff, like the real easy stuff. It's gets harder from here on out, handling the stock...doing the droving, that sh*t is hard. So keep on complaining, see where that gets you." I said, as I flicked the sheet over the line, I don't know why but Brin didn't move and I ended up flicking her in the face.

I cringed at the resulting howl, sure that someone down in town could hear Brin and her stupidly high pitched voice as she yowled with pain.

"Oh my goodness, what's going on here? Brin, honey are you alright?" I tried to keep the groan from escaping as Katherine came running around the corner to inspect Brin. She turned accusing eyes on me, it was an accident so I just shrugged.

"Zanzibar flicked me in the eye with the sheet, on purpose!" The look that Katherine was now giving me could have made a dog curl up scared, I was sure that if I was standing any closer to her I'd have gotten a good walloping around the *ss.

"I didn't flick ya in the eye on purpose. It's not my fault you were standing in a stupid place to begin with, you're only using this as an excuse to get out of work. She's been complaining my ears off all day Katherine, she's been wanting to go inside and all this other cr*p too." No matter what I said the look Katherine gave me grew colder and angrier to the point that I gave up and threw my hands in the air.

"Go help your father with the stock down in the yards, Brin you and I will finish this job. Zanzibar, when you return this evening I want you to apologize to Brin." I was shocked, I was being punished because of an accident? There was no way I was giving that American princess an apology let alone sympathy.

By the time I got down to the stockyards I was fuming, things with dad and I were still a little unsettled. For the most part he steered clear of me and I didn't really pay him much attention, I kept thinking to myself that it was because we were both too busy but I was kidding...we were both awkward.

"What's got your ugly face all twisted up?" I nearly chocked with laughter at the sudden question, Duncan stood there all sweaty and gross.

"Nothing you weirdo. Shearing sheep getting too much for ya fatty?" Not my best choice of words considering Duncan was everything but 'fatty.' But I wasn't going to tell him that as I tried to stop myself from looking at his naked chest and torso.