Epilogue

The sky was turning grey. Lapis was standing on the boat, looking out towards the ocean. She just couldn't help herself but think about Malachite. She knew this trip, this boat, that Steven did it all because of her, to make her feel better. She was trying to appreciate it, yet she subconsciously knew that she wasn't done taking a break from water. Something was stirring inside her, an emotion, no, a storm of emotions, causing the weather to change from a bright sunny day to dark and gloomy.

Today started off nicely: Greg, who introduced himself as Steven's dad, rented a boat and took Steven and Lapis along on a trip. Steven convinced Lapis that the trip would go just fine, and that she doesn't have to worry about the trauma Malachite gave her, after all, that was a few months ago. They got on the ship, tried fishing and learned what an air horn is, and throughout the day, Lapis was really starting to think that things were getting better. She barely had time to think about the horrible experiences with Malachite.

  However, she hasn't seen Steven for a while and being alone is the key to overthinking. Lapis found herself thinking about Malachite again, when her train of thought was suddenly interrupted by a familiar voice. "Lapis?" said Steven. He walked up to his blue friend with a worried look. "Um... I have some not so good news. There's trouble with the engine and we might be stuck out here for a while."said the half gem, hoping it wouldn't make Lapis' mood any worse. Lapis responded with a sigh, still looking out into the ocean. She knew she wouldn't be able to stay here much longer, now when memories from the time she was Malachite were coming back.

  "I'm so sorry, this whole thing is my fault," apologized Steven. "I just wanted you to have fun, but everything's a mess. I shouldn't have made you come on this trip..." he was aware of all of Lapis' struggles before, so he thought that a little fun break would be just what his friend needed. Now, he was regretting every moment of his previous actions. The ocean gem sighed and let go of the railing she was gripping so tightly just a few moments ago. She walked a few steps away from Steven, so he could not see into her face. "It's my fault. I'm the one to blame," sad Lapis Lazuli after a pause.

  Steven was surprised by what Lapis just said, but immediately tried to comfort her. "That's not true," said Steven, sounding less confident than he originally planned. Lapis couldn't hold her thoughts inside anymore and spilled them out to Steven. "I'm really trying to enjoy it out here, but..." Lapis stopped, thinking about the pain she was in for those months, how every second felt like she was going to poof because of the immense amount of pain. "I can't stop thinking about being fused as Malachite," confessed Lapis. "How I used all my strength to hold her down in the ocean, and how I was always battling against Jasper to keep her bound to me!" unintentionally raised her voice Lapis, clenching both of her hands into fists.

  "But it's not like that anymore. You don't have to be with Jasper!" replied Steven. He could feel a storm coming, telling by the wind that blew wildly and was shuffling his hair. "That's not it," spoke Lapis.

"I miss her."

  Those three words surprised both Steven and Lapis when she said them aloud. Lapis had subconsciously known that she felt something like that, but she either tried to repress those feelings, or she couldn't quite name them. "What?!" said Steven. Lapis realized what was the word she was looking for. She missed Jasper. "We've been fused for so long..." said Lapis. Steven couldn't understand why would his friend miss someone like Jasper. "But she's terrible!" cried the boy. "I'm terrible! I did horrible things!" yelled Lapis, thinking very aloud. "I broke your dad'a leg, I stole Earth's ocean," went on Lapis, listing off the worst things she did. "Go on! Tell me I'm wrong!"

  Steven was almost frightened by Lapis' sudden lashing out, but both of the gems didn't have time to think about this, or Malachite, or fixing the engine, because right after Lapis finished her sentence, it started to rain and the boat shook. At first, Steven thought that it was just sea turbulence, but then he realized that there is no such thing. Immediately after they both regained balance, they heard the clinking of the anchor chains. But neither of them had time to think about what it was, because the boat kept shaking for an unknown reason. Whatever was the cause of this, it was climbing higher and higher and had almost reached the wooden floor of the ship they were standing on. A lightning cut through the sky to reveal the uninvited visitor.