My work

Ok. For this chapter it's not the most relevant of all of them. If you're really a more fast paster then i'd probably skip the chapter but i kinda thought it was needed. This chapter goes into further detail of Marian, her work and what she does and her dry personality. She's a bit cocky, pretty wry but very self disciplined and dedicated hard worker. 

#3 days later#

I’m in the shooting range. It’s obligatory to know how to use a gun in the force but we do more physical training than any of the other F.B.I groups. We try hard to make the comparison concealed. The hours we put in are probably regrettably more than the hours we put in for our “daytime” files. Most agents just learn the stuff and get their licence. We need continuity to keep fit and keep our aim. If you don’t keep shooting every day you’re going to slightly go off the lines. Besides shooting, we also have a range of fighting courses we can select from. I was just a teenage street fighter before they found me offing some vampire that was lurking in an alleyway. A lot of my learning has been from here. It’s constant pushing of the boundaries of what our bodies can do, humanly. Our squad directly offers Kung Fu, Karate, and Tae-Kwon-Do. There’s also a self-defence course we can take called RAD (Rape Aggression Defence.) Only a few of the women from our thirteen has chosen the option, including me. All the men refuse to. I don’t know, a tough thing maybe? They don’t realise no matter how tough they are, girl vampires will bend their bones to put them in whatever position they want them in. We also have boxing, kick boxing and a few other teachings about self-defence, blocking, self-discipline, pressure points, all that. I go for the more aggressive sports. Boxing and ‘weak spots’ are my two majors. I practise hard in contemporary.

 I’m wearing big thick red earmuffs. The shooting range is huge like a factory. There are only two of us in here. The other is a woman that’s far more geared up then I am. Her gun is a lot longer too. Her light brown hair is pulled back in a bun. She’s a robust shaped woman. Not bad looking in a scary, butch kind of way. She has the professional half-cut gloves. She has the marketing blue hat and black, white and yellow clothes gear that goes with her gun. She looks like she was shot out of a gun at birth and her umbilical cord is still attached to it. Every aim was her bullseye. You could earn intimidation and respect like that pretty quick. Me, personally, I wasn’t a magnificent gun lover. I’d prefer to stake the bastard but if wooden bullets worked what was the problem? You get to choose your targets and if you want them moving or not. There are targets like dartboards, that are black and we mentally imagine bullseye as the heart. For the human-size posters we actually have the chest/heart section squared red. That’s the target I’m using now. It’s moving forward and back on a long, grey railing. Keeping my hands steady and my lovely Browning Hi-Power steady as my eyes on the target I shoot. BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!   

An Asian man in his late twenties walks inside the doorway, finding Marian by the stands shooting. Another man leaning against the wall near the doorway, quickly runs over to the Asian man, wearing ear plugs.

“You better take these” he shouts over the noise to the Asian man, holding out his hand holding the yellow ear plugs.

“No thanks, I think I’ll be all right” he shouts over the ear-splitting noise, covering both his ears; dressed in a blue suit. He goes to walk off before the man grabs his arm and suggests again he take the ear plugs. This time he agrees and stars shoving them in his earlobes on the walk over to Marian.   

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

“Marian…Marian! Marian!!” The Asian stands beside her, unable to bellow louder than the gunfire. He taps on her shoulder. Marian turns around shocked, and then takes her earmuffs off.