chapter two

"Rain is good for the soul, crazy how I feel the most warm when it's cold."
— Alive

K E I T HI placed the cancer stick in my mouth and balanced it between my lips

K E I T H
I placed the cancer stick in my mouth and balanced it between my lips. I scavenged deep into my pocket briskly trying to find my lighter. I pulled it out and furiously pushed down on the button, yet no flame came out. These damn things always gave me a hard time but it never stopped me.

One last flick and the lighter came to life. The flame danced and reached out hungrily, trying to find anything to consume to fuel its wrath. I brought the flame closer to the bud to let it do its job. I'm surprised the light rain drops didn't put the fire out.

I took my thumb off the rough, rutted surface of the button and closed my eyes. Slowly I inhaled the poison and blew out the smoke. I opened my eyes and there stood a disappointed looking Algee.

"You gotta stop sneaking up on people." I leaned against the schools brick wall.

"And you gotta stop smoking, especially on school property. You gotta think Keith, do you want to get in trouble?" I shrugged my shoulders, I didn't care.

"What are you doing out here anyway? Shouldn't you be on your way home?" I said holding the cigarette between my two fingers.

"I could ask you the same thing." I took in another whiff of the smoke.

"Just didn't feel like going home right now. I have a lot on my mind, needed to clear my head."

"A lot on your mind huh? Does it happen to be about a girl with purple curly hair?" A smirk formed on Algee's face. If he wasn't my friend, i'd most likely curse his short ass out and tell him to leave me the hell alone but I wasn't going to do that.

"I'm not thinking about anyone, you know I don't mess around with the whole relationship thing." I threw the cigarette to the ground and stomped on it until there was no more life.

"I heard you smiled at her, you gotta at least think she's decent. You don't smile at anyone. Half the time you don't smile around the guys and we're all friends."

My fingers we're starting to become numb, it was pretty cold out here. The rest of my body was immune to it since I'm always outside. I could see the fog form as I was breathing. I kept my eyes focused on that instead of looking at Algee.

"You're acting like I'm emotionless."

"You are. When's the last time you actually had a conversation with a girl?"

"I don't know and I don't care, I'm never going to fall in love. I can't and I won't."

Algee kissed his teeth. "You're acting like you have a choice, love is going to come around sooner or later you can't keep running Keith. It's going to find you."

"And how would you know?"

"Because I already found my girl Solange, don't act like you didn't know."

"How'd you know she was the one?"

A grin spread across his face. G. always got excited when he got to talk about his girl.

"The first time I heard her laugh my world just stopped. Everything was in slow motion, when we made eye contact I just knew."

It made me happy to see him happy, out of all of the guys I was closest to him. We've been friends since diapers. We told each other everything even if it was embarrassing.

But this whole love thing never really excited me. People always talk about the good parts but what about the bad parts? The arguments, the constant fighting, the cheating, jealousy and the worst of it yet, the realization that you're not in love with that person anymore. That's what terrified me the most.

They say to take a risk, but what if I don't want to take that risk. Sometimes it's easier to be alone, you don't have anyone to be worrying about.

Justine though, I don't know. When I looked at her I could tell she was different from the rest but I'm not about to mess around and get my heart played with. She's day and I'm night, the two can never meet because they were never meant to be.

There was a figure moving around in the background that got my attention immediately. I knew from the purple hair it was her. Her head was bobbing to the music, playing from her headphones. I wonder what she was listening too, she seems so happy.

"Why are you smiling?" I took my eyes off of her and put them on Algee. He took glanced in the direction behind him then smirked in my face. He pulled his blue backpack over his shoulder and put his hand on my shoulder and said, "You can't deny love Keith, it's gonna happen. Hey, you might even fall for Justine."

I watched as G. walked away, I stood there speechless. I couldn't love her or anyone at that matter. Justine's eyes scanned the parking lot until they met mine. She waved and gave me a coy smile, I lifted my hand slowly and waved back.

* * * * * *
If there are any typos sorry I didn't proof read.