Second Prompt

SO sorry for the late update you guys. Blame college applications.

Your Prompt Today:

 A key feature of defining any world is the basis of socioeconomic classes. What makes someone the upper class? Is it money? The color of their hair? The number of pajamas that they own? What is life like for the lower classes? What are the relationships between the upper and lower classes? Is there a working class? Is there gender distinction, or some other distinction based on religion, sexuality, race, etc.? Create a socioeconomic system and briefly describe what life is like in each of your classes.

Some ideas to draw inspiration from:

In Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive, people with light eyes are upper class. Those with dark eyes are the working class. There are also ranks within those classes, nahn and dahn, which determine an even more complex social hierarchy.

In Kiera Cass's series The Selection, various levels of class are maintained with a complex caste system, each with their own responsibilities and restrictions: One is the royalty, all the way down to the Eights, the homeless.

In Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, those with Silver blood are elevated as rich and deific (also in part due to their powers) and those with Red Blood are the normal ones.

Legend by Marie Lu has every citizen take a test. Their score on that test then determines which social class they enter.

As you're worldbuilding, remember that this is supposed to be futuristic, or at least gear/steampunk. This isn't some high fantasy world, so remember that technology will eventually end up playing a big part in these cultures.

If you're posting parts of your world bible, maps, small stories, anything at all, tag them with #WTTWcontest or #WelcomeToTheWorld contest, and/or post a link in the comments section of this contest so we can check out what you're doing!

The next worldbuilding prompt will be posted on February 17th