No Regret

I knelt on stage hearing the rough chants of the men around me. My fists were clenched around the handcuffs that dug into my skin. 'I hereby declare Alexander Lightwood a deserter of our kind.' The Consul announced and I could feel my heart drop.

I was afraid, truly and utterly afraid. I had defied the Clave and this was my punishment. I married a downworlder, I should have expected this. Magnus knelt beside me, his face stricken with tears.

'This isn't your fault.' I mustered the strength to speak as he let out another heart-wrenching sob. Not only had I married a downworlder but I had married a man. The Clave, from the beginning, were never going to pardon me. 'Alexander's punishment. He shall be stripped of his runes and sent into the mundane world.' I could almost hear the added of words 'to carry on his life with that filthy downworlder'. I could see my family argue my case but it was too late.

I met their eyes and smiled, shaking my head. I didn't mind, if it meant I could be with Magnus, I didn't care.

Being a shadowhunter had been my life but Magnus changed that. I had found love and I married the man I loved. We didn't care that he had a thousand exes and I had none, we knew this was love and nothing could change that.

Being a shadowhunter had ruined my life, in fact. I had become a slave to society and despite the pain I was about to be put through, I could live with the fact of becoming a mundane.

I laugh at my former self for looking down upon them. Mundanes are so much more than shadowhunters when it comes to moral: their governments fairer and their wars less brutal.

That wasn't to say that mundanes were any better off. Their lives were full of mourning, loss and an inability to trust others of their own kind. But, I was ready for that. I was ready for a new challenge as long as I could stand by Magnus as I did.

'Alexander Lightwood, do you have any last words as a shadowhunter.' I felt a sly smile creep onto my face. I met the Consul's eyes and I could see that they believed I would repent what I did. I didn't. I looked over to Magnus and our eyes locked.

'I regret nothing.' I murmured, only those in the front few rows being able to hear. 'I regret absolutely nothing.' I repeated, louder than the first time, my voice echoing around the room.

I could hear the gasps of those around me but I didn't care. I could see Magnus' smile, he wasn't afraid anymore. He knew that this was my way of telling him I loved him. I would die for him or in this case, I would be reborn.

'I love you.' I whispered so only he could hear me. He nodded and repeated them back to me. Then, the burning began. They didn't even ask to start, I was a disgrace to them now and I deserved all the pain they inflicted.

I screamed, my body burning as if they had just lit me alight. Through the light that now surrounded me I could see Magnus plead mercy, for them to stop the torture but I just kept screaming. Even then, though, I didn't regret what I had done. I loved Magnus and I had married him despite what others told me.

I had found that love conquered all, even the pain that was being inflicted on my was lessened by the knowledge that I would spend the rest of my days with Magnus.

The pain lessened after at least ten minutes of blinding light. I looked down to find my runes still there. I looked up to see a look of panic on the Consul's face. 'Why is it not working?' The Consul panicked as did the rest of the hall. It seemed that my runes were glowing, almost brighter than the light before.

'The angels would never give up one of their strongest warriors.' I heard a voice boom, Magnus. 'Did you really believe that one of your strongest warriors could just be made into a mundane. You do not have the angel's permission to do this. They rarely meddle in our affairs but Alec is blessed, no mortal being can take that away from him.' I stared at Magnus, my mouth hanging open as he stated it with a straight face, almost remaining impassive but I could see the fire in his eyes.

When Magnus had his mind set, he would fight until his end. This was passion, his magic flared around him like a blue aura. At that moment, I wished it to be red to prove his passion to the onlookers, whose mouths all hung open.

'You're wrong!' The Consul barked, glaring at Magnus with as much as they could muster.

Magnus shrugged and laughed loudly. 'You think I'm wrong? What other explanation do you have? Before he married me you worshipped him believing everything was just a phase.' He laughed harder, his face contorting into one of pure manipulation. I couldn't help but watch with a smile.

I hated being fought for...but this was Magnus...and he was saving my life. The Consul, failing to look Magnus in the eyes, gave a nervous laugh. 'You think this will stop us? You may have your runes, Alexander, but you will not be part of the Clave anymore.' I shrugged, impassive. I got to keep my identity but lost the control the Clave had over me.

I had just been freed...and I couldn't be happier. 'You're free to leave...and never return.' The Consul sounded menacing but I was too delighted to care. I was married to the best man in the world and I was free from the harsh rules of my kind and most of all, I hadn't had to start afresh. I would stay the Alec everyone knew and loved...and I was relieved.

If there was one thing I was afraid of, it was being abandoned by my family but with the smiles on their faces, I could see they were as happy as I was. Well, it couldn't be said for all my family but I didn't care about them.

My family were the ones that I fought with, the ones who had stuck by my side through the best bits and the worst. I loved them with all my heart and I could only believe that they requited that love.

I was free now. Love really does conquer all.

word count: 1092

published: 13.02.17