Chapter 1

The night was dead quiet; a full moon laid in the sky at its highest peak. I stood up listening for any sign that my parents were awake, and to my relief nobody stirred. I crepted towards my door and out into the hallway. I tiptoed past the first staircase and my parent's door that was slightly ajar; all the way to the end of the hall and down the spiral staircase. I made no sounds as I creeped down the stairs and towards the sliding glass back door. The door slid open soundless, and I crossed the threshold into the barely lit backyard. Still quiet I walked towards the fence gate; crossing the yard carefully. Once at the gate I waited for a minute, hesitating before pulling it open.

A light breeze blew as if warning me not to take another step, but when have I ever listened?

The step was a small defiance, but the wind howled angrily slamming the gate in the process. But I didn't care if anyone heard anymore, because I would be long gone before they could catch me.

So I ran into the forbidden forest leaving the angry wind and broken Promise behind in hope my questions would be answered.

I remember when the fence was built. It separated us from the forest, or it was supposed to.

I was six when my dad brought home the wood and his friends came over to help. It had been like a party; mom had served lemonade as music blared from the kitchen. A few moms had come over with their kids in tow.

I remember hearing one guy ask my dad why we were just now putting up a fence over the load music. The music shot up preventing me from hearing my dad's response.

Moments later my mom took me aside to tell me something. "Casey."

She said making sure she had my attention. "I need you to promise me something." Her voice was sweet, but in the same way concerned. "Promise me you will never go into the forest, no matter what." Intently she waited for my answer. Her honey blonde hair fell onto her face as the wind blew.

"I promise. "I said as I watched the relief flood across her face. I accepted this promise without a second thought, because she was my mom. But then again that was before I woke at night to whispers and dreams that scared me, though I couldn't remember them after I awoke. Not to mention the feelings I got, and the moments I would find myself clutching my stomach on the ground as images flooded through my mind; they were always the same.

I pulled my dark blue hoodie over my head, also putting my mid-waist honey blonde hair inside the hoodie, tied back with a cheap hair tie. I ran heart racing, palms sweating, scared and excited of what I would find, what I had been kept from.

When I slowed down I knew I was in the right place. A small part of me remembered it from my dreams. I stood on top of a cliff; water swished from below, and the dense forest covered my back. I could barely see the sun coming up alerting me of dawn. I was so caught up in the view that I didn't realize I had company.

"Hello, are you lost?" Questioned a girl with hair so blonde it looked white. Her hair reached to her lower back and it was straight and tangled as if she had been running around in the forest. She was plain, but beautiful at the same time.

Mira.

The wind whispered her name into my ear. I realized she was still waiting for my answer. "Oh... no... I'm good, but thanks for asking." I shuddered nervously.

"Why are you in the forest? Nobody is supposed to be in here." She said straight forwardly.

"If nobody is supposed to be in here then why are you here?" I questioned smartly.

It took her awhile to respond alerting me she stumped. "I... um..Patrol the forest to ... um... make sure nobody goes in here."

I could tell she was lying, even she knew it was a weak lie; this meant she was losing her high ground in this battle and didn't know what to do. To win I had to act fast.