Of All Times to Get Sick

I know some of you may be sad that there's no Percabeth in this story. I'm sorry, but I really wanted to give my own personal character a chance with him. Besides there is way to much Percabeth out there, even in my other stories they're still together. Time for a change of pace. So yeah, you are getting Percy and Alicia (or Percia) instead. :) I purposefully made Percy and Annabeth grow apart so it wouldn't be nearly as painful as her betrayal would have been for you lovely readers. 

Anyways just read and enjoy. ;)

The Avengers plus Pepper Potts have all gathered around the big dining room table for supper. They eat quietly. The three men have decided not to share about Percy's scars and thus the awkward silence ensues. The normally chatty Tony is grumpy and silent, Thor's proud shoulders droop and Bruce... well Bruce isn't exactly the most upbeat to begin with.

"So, " Pepper starts. "It seems I missed something today."

Natasha sends the three a glare. "Many of us have."

Thor heaves an uncharacteristic sigh, but Tony gives a smirk. "Curious aren't we little Tasha?"

Her eyes narrow, however before Natasha can respond (or rather kill Tony) the door slides open, revealing a very tired Percy. He walks over and plops down in the only empty chair before letting his head fall onto the table in a very ungraceful manner. Pepper looks at him with concern and the others with curiously. Teenage drama?

"imhungryandthirstypassthegarlicbread," Percy mumbles without lifting his head.

"Uhm, Enlgish please." Tony replies.

Percy looks up and his eyes shrink to slits, but remain slightly unfocused as if he has just woken up, which he probably did. "I said I'm hungry and thirsty. Pass the garlic bread."

Clint slides the carb-filled plate over and watches as Percy picks up a piece and nibbles on it. "What's wrong with you kid?"

"I have a name you know and nothing. Just tired." He sips a bit of Thor's coke. The giant of a man sits just to his right. He grimices and Bruce notices that his lips are parched. If he is slightly dehydrated, pop won't help to wet his throat. Bruce wordlessly gets up to grab a glass of water.

"Haven't you been sleeping all day," Bruce asks once he has returned. He sits the water down next to Percy, but the kid doesn't seem to notice. Thor only the other hand is glaring as Percy takes another small sip of his Coke.

Percy shakes his head. "Did some homework."

They all look at him. No one believes for one moment he did his homework already. It's Friday. They know he's going to wait until 8:00pm on Sunday to start. You don't have to know him well to know that much.

He rubs the back of his neck in discomfort as all seven pairs of eyes burn into him. He has gone many nights with little to no sleep and this afternoon's fit has him feeling more fatigued than usual. The headache behind his eyes reverberates through his skull. The voice in the back of his mind whispers that it's not just his nightmares plaguing him. 

Dinner finishes if possible even more quietly than how it started. Percy stands with the others and turns to go back to his room, but stumbles. Thor's large arm reaches out and catches him. He grunts and pushes himself back to feet, suddenly he is dizzy and his stomach is in knots.

"Are you okay?" Pepper asks as she places the back of her hand on his forehead. He jerks away. "You're burning up."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce emerges from the elevator to the waiting group. He smiles hesitantly and waves off their unease. "He's just caught a cold.."His frowns slightly and his forehead creases. "Though his fever is dangerously high at 104 degrees. I gave him medicine that should bring it down."